|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Florida, United States|
|Genres||Christian hip hop, underground hip hop|
|Labels||DeepSpace5, Uprok, Gotee, ILLECT, Mega Royal|
|Associated acts||Labklik, Mars ILL, Phonetic Composition, The Pride, deadpoetsociety|
Fred B (Freddie Bruno)
Deepspace5 is an underground hip hop supergroup formed in 1997 and currently composed of Beat Rabbi, Manwell?, Freddie Bruno, Listener, Mars ILL (a stand-alone duo consisting of Manchild and DJ Dust), Playdough, Sintax.the.Terrific, Sivion, and Sev Statik. Deepspace5 also previously included Illtripp and The Recon. Since its formation, the collective has sold over 100,000 copies of its recordings, and has performed with KRS-One, Atmosphere, and MF Doom, among others.
Deepspace5 first coalesced in 1997 at an annual Christian hip hop conference called Cru-vention. Listener, Sev Statik, Sintax.the.Terrific, Manchild and Recon all met with each other at the conference and recorded an EP. Shortly afterward, DJ Dust and Manchild were signed to the Tooth & Nail imprint Uprok Records as a duo project named Mars Ill, and they suggested that Uprok release a Deepspace5 project. Playdough and Freddie Bruno, who at the time recorded as a duo called Phonetic Composition, joined the group in 2000, after Playdough met with DJ Dust and Sintax in Atlanta. In the same year, the rapper Braille introduced Beat Rabbi to Manchild and DJ Dust, and Beat Rabbi was invited to join Deepspace5 a few months after Playdough and Freddie Bruno joined the project.
During the recording sessions for Deepspace5's first studio album, The Night We Called It a Day, rapper Sivion joined the collective. The album was released in 2002 to a warm critical reception. A second album, Unique, Just Like Everyone Else, followed in 2005.
Deepspace released Bakesale on April 29, 2008, exclusively on its website and SphereOfHipHop.com for CD or digital download, as a fund-raiser for its most recent album, entitled The Future Ain't What It Used to Be, which was released on Mega Royal Records on April 27, 2010.
- The Beginning, Is the Start of Everything (DeepSpace5 Records, 1997)
- The Night We Called It a Day (Uprok Records, 2002)
- Unique, Just Like Everyone Else (Gotee Records, 2005)
- Deepspacesoul w/ Beat Rabbi (ILLECT Recordings, 2008)
- Bakesale (Deepspace5 Records, 2008)
- Greatest Beats and Unreleased (Deepspace5 Records, 2008)
- The Blueprint 3 Outtakes (Deepspace5 Version), aka "5Print mixtape" (Independent release, 2009)
- The Future Ain't What It Used to Be (Mega Royal Records, 2010)
- "Bonus MP3: DeepSpace5 -- "Killing With Kindness"". Dallas Observer. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- "Deepspace 5 Interview, Deepspace 5 2010 Jesusfreakhideout.com Interview". www.jesusfreakhideout.com. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- Mega Royal Records
- Scribble Magazine
|This article on a United States hip hop music group or collective is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|