Deer Creek, Illinois
Location of Deer Creek in Woodford County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Total||0.57 sq mi (1.49 km2)|
|• Land||0.56 sq mi (1.46 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||758 ft (231 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,194.69/sq mi (461.54/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Deer Creek, Illinois|
Deer Creek is a village in Tazewell and Woodford counties in the U.S. state of Illinois. The population was 704 at the 2010 census. Deer Creek is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Deer Creek was founded in 1830. Deer Creek received its name from the creek that ran through the northwest part of the village and the red deer that roamed the woods and came to the creek for water. In the late 1830s, Abraham Chaffer started the first business in Deer Creek at Chaffer's Corner, which was located in the center of Deer Creek Township. The location of Deer Creek has moved three times since 1830, from Chaffer's Corner to New Castle, from New Castle to Belmont, and from Belmont to the present site of Village of Deer Creek.
The Village of Deer Creek is governed by the Village President and Board of Trustees.
Elected Village Board Members:
- Village President: James Hackney
- Village Clerk: Lori Lewis
- Board of Trustees:
- Tony Berardi
- Mary Eschelbach
- Grant Hackney
- Ben Koch
- Mark Rich
Deer Creek is located at (40.629252, -89.331626).
According to the 2010 census, Deer Creek has a total area of 0.569 square miles (1.47 km2), of which 0.56 square miles (1.45 km2) (or 98.42%) is land and 0.009 square miles (0.02 km2) (or 1.58%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 704 people, 294 households, and 193 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,924.2 people per square mile (753.5/km²). There were 243 housing units at an average density of 772.8 per square mile (302.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.84% White, 0.50% Asian, 0.17% from other races, and 0.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.17% of the population.
There were 227 households out of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.1% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.9% were non-families. 21.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the village, the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 21.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.1 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $38,542, and the median income for a family was $43,750. Males had a median income of $31,985 versus $25,278 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,578. About 6.6% of families and 5.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.3% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Dee-Mack Primary and Junior High school, located in Mackinaw, provides K-3rd grade and 7th-8th grade education for students residing in Deer Creek.
- Dee-Mack Intermediate school, located in Deer Creek, provides 4th-6th grade education for students residing in Deer Creek.
- Dee-Mack High school, located in Mackinaw, provides 9th-12th grade education for students residing in Deer Creek.
- Both Deer Creek and Mackinaw students alike attend school in Deer Creek-Mackinaw District 701.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 29, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Deer Creek, IL". USA.com. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "History". Welcome to the Village of Deer Creek. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "Government". Welcome to the Village of Deer Creek. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Census 2010 data". USA.com. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "School page". www.mackinawillinois.org. Retrieved 2019-03-25.
- "DEER CREEK MACKINAW DISTRICT 701". mackinawillinois.org. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "Summary Bibliography: Wilson Tucker". www.isfdb.org. Retrieved 2019-03-26.