Deer Park railway station
Eastbound view in September 2010
|Location||Railway Place, Deer Park|
|Line(s)||Serviceton, Warrnambool, Geelong (Waurn Ponds)|
|Distance||17.83 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||2 April 1884|
The station opened as Kororoit on 2 April 1884, along with the Serviceton line, and was renamed Deer Park in 1899, by which time the station had a three road yard, passenger platform on the southern track, a goods platform on the northern track, and an interlocked signal box. Being on a single track railway, it served as a crossing loop for trains, which remained until 1913, when the signal box was abolished.
In 1928, a siding serving Nobel Chemical Finishes (Aust) Pty Ltd was opened at the Up (Southern Cross) end of the station, running north to a loop siding and dead end. In 1929, alterations were made to the electric staff working of trains, to permit workers trains to operate to the Nobel factories at Ardeer and Deer Park. In 1943, the signal box was reopened, in conjunction with the opening of the new Ravenhall siding (Commonwealth Government Siding), at the Down end of the yard. The new siding ran south from the line to a loop siding, before terminating at a dead end.
The Nobel siding (later ICIANZ) was closed in 1955, and in 1974, the line from Sunshine to Deer Park West Junction was duplicated, with the current island platform provided. The signal box was closed, and line was worked by Centralised Traffic Control from Sunshine. Crossovers between lines were provided at each end of the platform. The Ravenhall siding was abolished in 1978. Boom barriers were provided at the nearby Mount Derrimut Road level crossing in 1981.
In 1987, one of the loop sidings in the yard was removed, with the last siding removed in 1989, leaving only the main line and platform. In 2005, as part of the Regional Fast Rail project, control of the signalling was transferred to the Ballarat signal box.
In September 2009, an upgrade of Deer Park station commenced, including:
- 150 paved car parking spaces;
- improved station access, lighting and signage;
- improved station security via CCTV;
- retain as many trees as possible, as well as planting new trees;
- protect native grasses to the east of the new car park.
In June 2015, the junction of the Deer Park – West Werribee line, part of the Regional Rail Link project, opened three kilometres west of Deer Park station. The year prior during major construction works, the station underwent a minor upgrade as part of the project. There were changes to the platform, the carpark and safety fences were installed between the track's and the carpark waiting area.
Platforms & services
- V/Line services to Bacchus Marsh and Ballarat
- V/Line services to Wyndham Vale, Geelong and Waurn Ponds
Dysons operates one route via Deer Park station, under contract to Public Transport Victoria:
- Night Bus 942: Melbourne CBD (Queen Street) – St Albans station (Saturday and Sunday mornings only)
Sita Buslines operates three routes via Deer Park station, under contract to Public Transport Victoria:
- 400: Sunshine station – Laverton station (shared with CDC Melbourne)
- 420: Sunshine station – Watergardens station
- 422: Sunshine station – Brimbank Central Shopping Centre
- Deer Park Vicsig
- "A Real Plan For Fast Regional Rail And Metro Rail For The West". Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- "Victorian Station Histories - Deer Park" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. May 1974. p. 115.
- Deer Park Interlocking Information Vicsig
- "Major Imprrovements for Deer Park Station". Media Release: Minister for Public Transport. www.premier.vic.gov.au. 20 June 2008. Archived from the original on 15 April 2014. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
- Deer Park - West Werribee Junction Regional Rail Link
- Deer Park Junction Rail Geelong
- Ballarat - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Geelong - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- "400 Sunshine Station - Laverton Station via Robinsons Road". Public Transport Victoria.
- "942 Night bus: City - Footscray - Sunshine - Deer Park - St Albans". Public Transport Victoria.
- "420 Sunshine Station - Watergardens Station via Deer Park". Public Transport Victoria.
- "422 Sunshine Station - Brimbank Central SC via Deer Park". Public Transport Victoria.