Def Comedy Jam
|Def Comedy Jam|
|Created by||Russell Simmons|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)|
|Original release||July 1, 1992– January 1, 1997|
The series had its original run from July 1, 1992 to January 1, 1997. The show returned on HBO's fall lineup in 2006. Def Comedy Jam helped to launch the careers of several African-American stand-up comedians.
The show produced a spinoff called Loco Slam.
The show is currently available in DVD boxsets in the USA and the UK.
- Williams, Frank B. (1997-03-13). "STAGE; Totally 'Def'; Spinoff of HBO's hit comedy showcase comes to CSUN". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Has Black Comedy Been Beaten Blue? : 'Def Comedy Jam' is a hit--but with some African American comics turning to cable shows that limit the raunchiness, clean and subtle could be the wave of the future". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- O'Connor, John J. (1993-07-08). "Review/Television; Onstage at the Outer Limits of the Outrageous". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Braxton, Greg (1992-08-06). "LAUGHZ N THE HOOD : Television: A showcase for unknown black comics, 'Russell Simmons' Def Comedy Jam' begins its second season Friday on HBO.". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Braxton, Greg (1994-02-20). "To Critics of 'South Central': What a Joke : Television: The Fox series has been accused of perpetuating stereotypes about blacks and violence. But where are the protests over HBO's 'Def Comedy Jam'? That's no laughing matter.". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- O'Connor, John J. (1994-07-31). "TELEVISION VIEW;The Curse of Incessant Cursing". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- Braxton, Greg (1994-02-20). "Loco Hopes to Hit Grand Slam for Latinos". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "Def Comedy Jam Classics, Vols. 1 and 2". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
|This comedy television series-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|