Defence Academy of the United Kingdom
|Motto||Intellectual Excellence in Defence|
|Established||2002, oldest constituent unit est. 1772|
|Director||Air Marshal Edward Stringer|
The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom provides higher education for personnel in the British Armed Forces, Civil Service, other government departments and service personnel from other nations. The Director General of the Defence Academy is Air Marshal Edward Stringer, a senior Royal Air Force officer.
The Defence Academy is headquartered at what used to be the Royal Military College of Science site at Shrivenham in southwestern Oxfordshire; it delivers education and training there and in a number of other sites. The majority of training is postgraduate with many courses being accredited for the award of civilian qualifications.
The formation of the Defence Academy consolidated education and training delivered by a number of different establishments into a single organisational and budgetary structure, intended to improve efficiency, reduce duplication of effort and align delivery to defence requirements. The Defence Academy is also responsible for the maintenance of relationships with the UK academic establishment and with military and naval service educational institutions worldwide.
Non technical research is carried out for the development of doctrine and analysis of the international security environment.
Delivery units and locations
Training is delivered by:
- Royal College of Defence Studies (RCDS), Seaford House, Belgravia, London
- Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC), Shrivenham, Oxfordshire
- Shrivenham Leadership Centre (SLC), Beckett Hall, Shrivenham
- Armed Forces Chaplaincy Centre (AFCC), Amport House, Amport, Hampshire
- Nuclear Department, HMS Sultan, Gosport
- Defence Centre of Training Support (DCTS), Shrivenham
- Technology School, Shrivenham
- Business Skills College, Shrivenham
- Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College (DSFC), Loughborough, Leicestershire
- Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS)
- Defence Technical Officer and Engineer Entry Scheme (DTOEES), (part of DSFC and DTUS)
- Defence Engagement School, which comprises the Defence Centre for Languages & Culture, The Defence Attache and Loan Service Centre and the International Section.
The Director General of the Defence Academy chairs the Defence Academy Management Board which is composed of the commandants of the constituent delivery units and Chief of Staff, Defence Academy. The commanding officer of Shrivenham Station is a separate post filled by a Royal Air Force Wing Commander.
The management board report to a four-star steering board and an advisory board including academic expertise from the private sector and academia. A customer board at two-star level represents the customer community.
List of Directors General:
- 2002–2005: Sir Roger Jackling
- 2005–2008: Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely, late Scots Guards
- 2008–2011: Lieutenant General Andrew Graham, late Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
- 2011–2014: Peter Watkins
- 2014–2018: Vice Admiral Duncan Potts
- 2018–present: Air Marshal Edward Stringer
- "About us". MOD Defence Academy. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- Aim high The Guardian, 16 July 2003.
- "Oxford Leverhulme". Ccw.modhist.ox.ac.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-08-15. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Lieutenant General Andrew Graham takes over from Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely Defence Academy Archived June 17, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Defence Academy, Defence Academy Director
- "Vice Admiral Duncan Potts takes over as Director General Joint Force Development & Defence Academy". News. Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Defence Academy of the United Kingdom.|