Defence Intelligence Agency (Nigeria)
|Formed||June 5, 1986|
The Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), is the primary military intelligence agency of Nigeria. The DIA was established in 1986 to provide an efficient system of obtaining military intelligence for the Nigerian Armed Forces and Ministry of Defence. The DIA promotes Nigeria's Defence Policy, enhances military cooperation with other countries, protects the lives of Nigerian citizens, and maintains the territorial integrity of Nigeria. The DIA is headed by the Chief of Defence Intelligence (CDI) who is appointed by the President of Nigeria.
In June 1986, then president, general Ibrahim Babangida issued Decree Number 19, dissolving the National Security Organization (NSO) and restructuring Nigeria's security services into three separate entities under the Office of the Co-ordinator of National Security.
- The State Security Service (SSS) was made responsible for domestic intelligence, with Director General Ismaila Gwarzo and Deputy Director Lt. Col. A.K. Togun.
- The National Intelligence Agency (NIA) handled external intelligence and counterintelligence.
- The DIA was tasked with military-related intelligence outside and inside Nigeria
Chiefs of Defence Intelligence
|Chiefs of Defence Intelligence||Term of Service|
|Brigadier General A.G. Mohammed||January 1985 – August 1985|
|Lt Colonel Haliru Akilu||August 1985 – July 1986|
|Rear Admiral Babatunde Elegbede||July 1986 – January 1990|
|Colonel Haliru Akilu||January 1990 – September 1990|
|Group Captain Idi Musa||September 1990 – December 1991|
|Major General Ibrahim Dahiru Gumel||December 1991 – March 1995|
|Air Vice Marshal Idi Musa||March 1995 – July 1999|
|Vice Admiral J.M. Ajayi||July 1999 - September 2005|
|Major General A.M. Halidu-Giwa||December 2005 - August 2007|
|Major General Mohammed Said||August 2007 - July 2009|
|Major General Babagana Monguno||July 2009 - September 2011|
|Major General S.Y. Audu||September 2011 - February 2014|
|Rear Admiral Gabriel Okoi||February 2014 - July 2015|
|Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan||July 2015 – January 2016|
|Major General John Saduana franklin||January 2016 – July 2016|
|Air Vice Marshal MS Usman||July 2016 – present|
Defence Intelligence College
The Defence Intelligence College (DIC) was established by Decree 19 of 1986 as a training arm of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA). Since then, it has grown to become a Regional Centre of Excellence; especially within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). 
- "History of DIA". Defence Intelligence Agency of Nigeria. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Omoigui, Nowa. "Nigeria:The Palace Coup of August 27, 1985 Part II". Urhobo Historical Society. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "DIA Leadership". Defence Intelligence Agency. Archived from the original on 15 July 2015. Retrieved 15 July 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|This article about government in Nigeria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|