Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hyderabad- 500 058
Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) is a research laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). Located in Defence Research Complex, Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, it is responsible for the development and manufacture of complex metals and materials required for modern warfare and weapon systems.
DMRL was set up in 1963 at Hyderabad. Since then, it has developed competence in the areas of powder metallurgy based fabrication and development of alloys, armor and rocket motor steel, aerospace light alloys, and magnetic materials. The formation of other entities such as the Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd., Heavy Alloy Penetrator Plant, Composites Production Centre, Non-Ferrous Technology Development Centre, and the Advanced Research Centre International have followed the establishment of DMRL. The DMRL is also involved in R&D efforts to develop futuristic materials to provide advanced technology options.
Projects and products
DMRL has developed:
- Ultra-high-strength steel with the toughness combination equivalent to maraging steel; this steel has been used to build rocket motor casings for the Akash surface-to-air missiles
- Heavy alloy pre-fragments for Prithvi missile warheads developed for use against aerial targets
- OFE copper for the Nag anti-tank guided missile sheets
- Special magnetic materials such as samarium-cobalt ring magnets and neodymium-iron-boron magnets in collaboration with the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre for applications in the space program
- Kanchan armour for use on the Arjun tank as well as other armoured vehicles like Sarath and Abhay
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Defence Research Complex, Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, GlobalSecurity.org report about DMRL
- Bureau Report (21 May 2005). "NTPC, DMRL to develop gas turbine blades". The Hindu. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- "DMRL transfers technologies to Trade". DRDO Newsletter. September 2000. Archived from the original on May 5, 2006. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This military article about the Indian Armed Forces is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|