Defense Policy Board Advisory Committee
|This article is missing information about date of creation and other background or history of the board. (September 2013)|
The Defense Policy Board Advisory Committee, also referred to as the Defense Policy Board (DPBAC or DPB) is a federal advisory committee to the United States Department of Defense. Their charter is available online through the office of the Director of Administration and Management of the Department of Defense. The committee type is discretionary.
Excerpt of Objectives and Scope of Activities from charter:
1. The Defense Policy Board will serve the public interest by providing the Secretary of Defense, Deputy Secretary of Defense and the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy with independent, informed advice and opinion concerning major matters of defense policy. It will focus upon long-term, enduring issues central to strategic planning for the Department of Defense and will be responsible for research and analysis of topics, long or short range, addressed to it by the Secretary of Defense, Deputy Secretary of Defense and the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy.
Announcements for upcoming meetings of the DPBAC are published in the Federal Register.
Historically, the DPBAC has mostly served as a method for the Pentagon to leverage consulting expertise in the private sector. However, the DPBAC served a very powerful and influential role in foreign policy in the George W. Bush presidency. Former Chairman Richard Perle was an influence in the decision to go to war in Iraq, and Jack Keane was instrumental in the implementation of the Iraq War troop surge of 2007.
Current members of the board
- John J. Hamre (Chairman), former Deputy Secretary of Defense
- Peter Pace, General USMC (Ret.), former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Jack Dyer Crouch, II, former Deputy National Security Advisor
- William Perry, former Secretary of Defense
- Harold Brown, former Secretary of Defense
- Vern Clark, Admiral USN (Ret.), former Chief of Naval Operations
- Jack Keane, General US Army (Ret.), former Vice Chief of Staff of the Army
- Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of State
- James Schlesinger, former Secretary of Defense
- Marin Strmecki, Director Smith Richardson Foundation
- Andrew Krepinevich, Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments
- Dave McCurdy
- Frank Miller
- Larry Welch, General USAF (Ret.), former Chief of Staff of the Air Force
- John Nagl, former President of the Center for a New American Security
- Richard Danzig, former Secretary of the Navy
- Robert D. Kaplan, Center for a New American Security
- Robert Gallucci, former Assistant Secretary of State
- Rudy de Leon, former Deputy Secretary of Defense
- Sarah Sewall, Harvard University
- Stephen Biddle, Council on Foreign Relations
- Wendy Sherman, former special advisor to the President.
- PDF[dead link]
- definition of DoD federal advisory committee
- Office of Administration and Management of the Department of Defense
- Federal Register