Defiance, Ohio (band)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Defiance, Ohio playing on 5/02/09
|Origin||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Genres||Folk Punk, Alt-country|
|Labels||Plan-It-X Records, No Idea, Anti-Creative Records, Friends and Relatives Records|
|Associated acts||Nana Grizol, Pretty Hot, Landlord, Pink Houses, Hymns, Disaster, High Dive, Memento Mori|
Elizabeth "BZ" Gibbs
Defiance, Ohio is an acoustic punk rock band from Columbus, Ohio. They are named after the town of Defiance, Ohio. The band features a violin, cello, and double bass. They are known for their association with Plan-It-X Records, as well as anti-capitalist themes.
They have released four full length LPs, as well as a handful of split recordings. In the DIY spirit, much of their music is put out by the band themselves, producing their own CDs and CD-Rs, as well as allowing anyone to download all of their music for free from their website. When not releasing their own music, the band works with independent record labels in order to produce their releases. Typically these have been smaller independent labels. However, the band has worked with the more notable though still staunchly independent No Idea Records. They have performed and are featured on Pink Couch Sessions.
After making the decisions to work with No Idea, the band felt a need to explain their actions and maintain the sense of dialogue that they feel has been consistent in how they've operated themselves as a band. They said that they would have preferred to release the album themselves, but that they did not have the capacity to do so while continuing to keep older releases in print. Their song "Sometimes Motion" was featured in the 2008 Irish documentary Roll Up Your Sleeves.
Most of the members of Defiance, Ohio also participate in other bands, such as Nana Grizol, Pretty Hot, Landlord, Pink Houses, Hymns, Disaster, High Dive, Memento Mori (now defunct) and other musical projects. Ryan Woods the bassist is also part owner of the popular vegetarian restaurant The Owlery in Bloomington, Indiana.
- Ryan Woods – double bass, bass, vocals (2002–present)
- Geoff Hing – guitar, vocals (2002–present)
- Will Staler – drums, guitar, vocals (2002–present)
- Elizabeth "BZ" Gibbs – violin (2002–present)
- Sherri Miller – cello, banjo, vocals (2002–present)
- Theo Hilton – drums, guitar, vocals (2005–present)
- Share What Ya Got (2003)
- The Great Depression (2006)
- The Fear, The Fear, The Fear (2007)
- Midwestern Minutes (2010)
- Demos & EPs
- Demo (2003)
- 2003 Tour CDR (2003)
- Songs for the Icarus Project (2009) (a benefit for the Icarus Project)
- The Calling (2012)
- Ghost Mice/Defiance Ohio Split CD (2004)
- One Reason/Defiance, Ohio Split 7" (2004)
- Environmental Youth Crunch/Defiance, Ohio Split 7" (2007)