I.W.Bailey & A.C.Sm.
I.W. Bailey & A.C.Sm.
Degeneriaceae is a family of flowering plants endemic to Fiji. The APG IV system of 2016 (unchanged from the APG system of 1998, the APG II system of 2003 and the APG III system of 2009), recognizes this family, and assigns it to the order Magnoliales in the clade magnoliids.
- Degeneria roseiflora John M.Mill. - Vanua Levu, Taveuni - karawa
- Degeneria vitiensis L.W.Bailey & A.C.Sm. - Viti Levu - masiratu. This species appears on Fiji's five-dollar bill.
The floral structure of Degeneria is unusual, considered to be primitive among the flowering plants. The stamens are similar to those in Austrobaileya, Galbulimima, and some Magnoliaceae; they do not have distinguishable anther, filament, and connective, but instead are leaf-like, with two pairs of microsporangia embedded in the surface. There are three veins, rather than the single vein in the stamen of most flowering plants. The gynoecium develops in an unusual way, similar to Winteraceae, with laminal placentation, i.e., the young carpel is cup-shaped, and the ovules develop on its upper surface. The margins of the carpel never fully fuse. A cleft remains filled with hairs, through which the pollen tubes grow towards the ovules.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III". Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society. 161 (2): 105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x.
- "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG IV". Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society. 181 (1): 1–20. 2016. ISSN 0024-4074. doi:10.1111/boj.12385.
- Gifford, E.M.; Foster, A.S. (1989). Morphology and evolution of vascular plants. New York: W. H. Freeman and Company.
- Degeneriaceae in L. Watson and M.J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards). The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, information retrieval. Version: 27 April 2006. https://web.archive.org/web/20070103200438/http://delta-intkey.com:80/.
- photograph of a flower and a developing fruit
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser
- links at CSDL, Texas
|This Magnoliales-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|