|• Mayor||Monika Scherrer|
|• Total||14.48 km2 (5.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||800 m (2,600 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2017)|
|• Density||280/km2 (720/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Flawil, Herisau (AR), Lütisburg, Mogelsberg, Oberuzwil, Sankt Peterzell, Schwellbrunn (AR)|
Degersheim is first mentioned in 837 as Tegarascai. It was known as Tegerschen until 1803, when Degersheim became the official name. The village of Wolfertswil is mentioned in 838 as Wolfrideswilare.
Degersheim has an area, as of 2006[update], of 14.4 km2 (5.6 sq mi). Of this area, 53.4% is used for agricultural purposes, while 36.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 10% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.1%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes).
Coat of arms
Degersheim has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 4,038. As of 2007[update], about 17.2% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Of the foreign population, (as of 2000[update]), 40 are from Germany, 147 are from Italy, 275 are from ex-Yugoslavia, 27 are from Austria, 34 are from Turkey, and 183 are from another country. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -1.5%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (89.9%), with Italian being second most common ( 2.3%) and Spanish being third ( 1.8%). Of the Swiss national languages (as of 2000[update]), 3,551 speak German, 8 people speak French, 91 people speak Italian, and 6 people speak Romansh.
The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Degersheim is; 515 children or 13.0% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 636 teenagers or 16.1% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 428 people or 10.8% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 553 people or 14.0% are between 30 and 39, 585 people or 14.8% are between 40 and 49, and 479 people or 12.1% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 326 people or 8.2% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 224 people or 5.7% are between 70 and 79, there are 169 people or 4.3% who are between 80 and 89, and there are 36 people or 0.9% who are between 90 and 99, and 1 person who is 100 or more.
In 2000[update] there were 486 persons (or 12.3% of the population) who were living alone in a private dwelling. There were 769 (or 19.5%) persons who were part of a couple (married or otherwise committed) without children, and 2,286 (or 57.8%) who were part of a couple with children. There were 197 (or 5.0%) people who lived in single parent home, while there are 25 persons who were adult children living with one or both parents, 16 persons who lived in a household made up of relatives, 8 who lived household made up of unrelated persons, and 165 who are either institutionalized or live in another type of collective housing.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Degersheim about 68.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule). Out of the total population in Degersheim, as of 2000[update], the highest education level completed by 906 people (22.9% of the population) was Primary, while 1,329 (33.6%) have completed Secondary, 397 (10.0%) have attended a Tertiary school, and 191 (4.8%) are not in school. The remainder did not answer this question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Heritage sites of national significance
As of 2007[update], Degersheim had an unemployment rate of 1.25%. As of 2005[update], there were 138 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 50 businesses involved in this sector. 820 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 64 businesses in this sector. 604 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 114 businesses in this sector.
As of October 2009[update] the average unemployment rate was 2.9%. There were 226 businesses in the municipality of which 64 were involved in the secondary sector of the economy while 114 were involved in the third.
From the 2000 census[update], 1,739 or 44.0% are Roman Catholic, while 1,343 or 34.0% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there are 74 individuals (or about 1.87% of the population) who belong to the Orthodox Church, and there are 196 individuals (or about 4.96% of the population) who belong to another Christian church. There is 1 individual who is Jewish, and 209 (or about 5.29% of the population) who are Islamic. There are 28 individuals (or about 0.71% of the population) who belong to another church (not listed on the census), 263 (or about 6.65% of the population) belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 99 individuals (or about 2.51% of the population) did not answer the question.
Degersheim has an average of 153.6 days of rain or snow per year and on average receives 1,549 mm (61.0 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is June during which time Degersheim receives an average of 193 mm (7.6 in) of rain or snow. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 15.1 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is May, with an average of 15.1, but with only 163 mm (6.4 in) of rain or snow. The driest month of the year is January with an average of 90 mm (3.5 in) of precipitation over 15.1 days.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 17 September 2018
- Degersheim in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived January 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. accessed 20-January-2010
- Flags of the World.com Archived 2011-06-04 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 20-January-2010
- Der Kanton St. Gallen und seine Menschen in Zahlen - Ausgabe 2009 (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- Canton St. Gallen Statistics-Hauptergebnisse der Volkszählung 2000: Regionen- und Gemeindevergleich-Personen Archived September 9, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived May 1, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 20-Jan-2010
- ISOS site accessed 20-Jan-2010
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Unemployment (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Businesses Archived July 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 31 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Commuters Archived July 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 31 December 2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 830 meters above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Degersheim.|