Degree of difficulty
This article needs attention from an expert in sports.(August 2016)
Degree of difficulty (DD, sometimes called tariff or grade) is a concept used in several sports and other competitions to indicate the technical difficulty of a skill, performance, or course, often as a factor in scoring. Sports which incorporate a degree of difficulty in scoring include bouldering, cross-country skiing, diving, equestrianism, figure skating, freestyle skiing, gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, surfing, synchronized swimming and trampoline. Degree of difficulty is typically intended to be an objective measure, in sports whose scoring may also rely on subjective judgments of performance.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2016)
The International Swimming Federation computes the degree of difficulty of dives according to a five-part formula, incorporating height, number of somersaults and twists, positioning, approach, and entry.
In American football, kicking a field goal is worth three points regardless of the distance from which it is kicked; however, the distance plays into the likelihood that a field goal is successfully scored. For instance, from 30 yards out, there is roughly a 95% chance of success, compared to 65% from 50 yards.
In fantasy football, the degree of difficulty for a field goal factors into scoring, by awarding more points for longer field goals: 3 points for 17-39 yards; 4 points for 40-49 yards; 5 points for 50-59 yards; and 6 points for 60 or more yards.
The International Federation of Gymnastics gives difficulty points for number of somersaults, number of body twists and the body position in somersaults (piked or straight). The total for a routine is the sum of the individual elements:
- Each 1/4 rotation of a somersault = 0.1 DD
- Completed 360° somersault (bonus) = 0.1 DD
- Each 1/2 twist = 0.1 DD
- Single somersaults without twist in pike/straight position = 0.1 DD
- Somersaults over 720° in pike/straight position = 0.2 DD
- "Degree of difficulty". Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "FINA Degree of Difficulty / Formula and Components". USAdiver.com. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Kickers Are Forever". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- "The Ultimate Fantasy Football Scoring & Points System Guide". Cheatsheet War Room. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- "Definition: Degree Of Difficulty". Gymnastics Zone. December 12, 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "FIG Code of Points 2013‐2016 ‐ Trampoline Gymnastics ‐ Part I (TRA)" (PDF). FIG. Retrieved 3 October 2016.