Deir Abu Da'if
|Deir Abu Da'if|
|• Arabic||دير ابو ضعيف|
|Name meaning||The convent of Abu Daif, p. n.=father of the weak, or lean one|
Deir Abu Da'if (Arabic: دير ابو ضعيف) is a Palestinian village in the West Bank, located 6 km east of the city of Jenin in the northern West Bank. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the town had a population of 5,293 inhabitants in mid-year 2006.
In 1882 the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine described it: "A small village near the edge of the hills, on rising ground. The water supply is from cisterns. Olive- gardens exist on the north. The houses are of mud and stone."
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, the village had a population of 441; 434 Muslims and 7 Christians, where the Christians were all Orthodox, increasing in the 1931 census to 598; 593 Muslims and 5 Christians, with 136 houses.
In 1944/5 the population was 850, all Muslims, with a total of 12,906 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 1,919 dunams were used for plantations and irrigable land, 4,836 dunams were for cereals, while 30 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 160
- Projected Mid -Year Population for Jenin Governorate by Locality 2004- 2006 Archived September 20, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, p. 157
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 83
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Jenin, p. 29
- Barron, 1923, Table XV, p. 47
- Mills, 1932, p. 67
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 16
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 54
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 98
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 148
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.