|• Arabic||دير بلّوط|
|• Also spelled||Dayr Ballout (official)
Deir al-Ballut (unofficial)
|• Type||Village council|
|Name meaning||"Monastery (or Convent) of the Oak"|
Deir Ballut (Arabic: دير بلّوط) is a Palestinian town located in the Salfit Governorate in the northern West Bank, 41 kilometers (25 mi) south west of Nablus. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, it had a population of 3,195 in 2007.
In 1870 Victor Guérin found it to be a village of one hundred and fifty people. However, judging by the extent of the ruins that covered the hill where it stood, Guérin thought it had once been a large city. Most houses were built with large stones.
In 1882 the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described it as "a small village, partly ruinous, but evidently once a place of greater importance, with rock-cut tombs. The huts are principally of stone. The water supply is from wells." To the west of the village are rock-tombs, from a Christian age.
British Mandate era
Deir Ballut was the site of minor engagement between Turkish and British troops on the March 12, 1918.
In 1945 the population was 720, all Muslim while the total land area was 14,789 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 508 dunams were for plantations and irrigable land, 3,488 for cereals, while 63 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
- Palmer 1881, p. 228
- 2007 PCBS Census Archived December 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p. 112.
- Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 242
- le Strange, 1890, p. 428.
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 126
- Guérin, 1875, p. 130
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 284
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 313
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Nablus, p. 26
- Mills, 1932, p. 60
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 18
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 59
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 105
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 155
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Finkelstein, Israel; Lederman, Zvi, eds. (1997). Highlands of many cultures. Tel Aviv: Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University Publications Section. ISBN 965-440-007-3.
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas (PDF). Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Strange, le, Guy (1890). Palestine Under the Moslems: A Description of Syria and the Holy Land from A.D. 650 to 1500. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To Dayr Ballut
- Survey of Western Palestine, Map 14: IAA, Wikimedia commons
- Deir Ballut Town (Fact Sheet), Applied Research Institute - Jerusalem (ARIJ)
- Deir Ballut Town Profile, ARIJ
- Areal photo, ARIJ
- Development Priorities and Needs in Deir Ballut, ARIJ
- New Colonial Activity in Deir Ballut Village - Salfit District 12, March, 2000, POICA
- War against trees and sheep 10, March, 2004, POICA
- Israeli brought wild pigs destroy tens of dunums in Deir Ballut plain 30, July, 2006, POICA
- Kfar Ad Dik and Deir Ballut in Salfit Governorate receive New Land confiscation Order 10, January, 2007, POICA
- Deir Ballut's fruitful olive trees cut for Wall Constructions 03, March, 2007, POICA
- New Military Orders to Halt Construction of Seven Palestinian Houses in the Village of Deir Ballut 01, October, 2007, POICA
- The Israeli Army to demolish an under-construction school in Deir Ballut Village 14, February, 2008, POICA
- New house demolition orders in Deir Ballut village 19, June, 2008, POICA
- Palestinian homes due to be demolished over 'lack of permits' pretext in Deir Ballut Village 22, September, 2010, ARIJ