Del Mar Debutante Stakes
|Grade I race|
|Location||Del Mar Racetrack
Del Mar, California, United States
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Purse||$300,000 (since 2012)|
The Del Mar Debutante Stakes is an American thoroughbred horse race for two-year-old fillies run each year in early September at Del Mar Racetrack in Del Mar, California. A Grade I event since 1999, the Debutante is raced on dirt at a distance of seven furlongs and currently offers a purse of $300,000.
Inaugurated in 1951 at a distance of six furlongs, in 1974 the race was changed to a one-mile event then in 1993 to its current seven furlongs. From 2007 to 2014, it was run on a Polytrack all weather surface.
The Del Mar Debutante Stakes was raced in two divisions in 1984.
- 1:21.40 - Call Now (1994) (at current distance of 7 furlongs)
Most wins by a jockey:
Most wins by a trainer:
- 9 - D. Wayne Lukas (1978, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1996)
Most wins by an owner:
- 3 - M/M E. B. Johnston (1959, 1970, 1971)
Winners since 1979
- In 1988, Approved to Fly finished first but was disqualified to second.
- In 1953, Frosty Dawn won the race but later was found to be ineligible and the race was awarded to Lady Cover Up.
- "Race Profile - Statistics". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 4 September 2016.