Attorney General of Delaware
|Attorney General of Delaware|
|Term length||Four years
No Term Limits
|Inaugural holder||Gunning Bedford, Jr.
February 1, 1783
|Website||Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney General Office|
The Attorney General of Delaware is a constitutional officer of the U.S. state of Delaware, and is the chief law officer and the head of the State Department of Justice. On January 6, 2015 Matt Denn, who was formerly Delaware's lieutenant governor and insurance commissioner, was sworn in as the 45th Attorney General of Delaware.
Description of the office
The Attorney General elected to a four-year term in the "off-year" state election, two years before/after the election of the Governor. Along with the State Treasurer, State Auditor, and State Insurance Commissioner, the office is intended to serve as a restraint to the Governor's exclusive executive authority. The office existed in various forms prior to the ratification of the Delaware Constitution of 1776, which continued the existing colonial tradition of granting the Governor of Delaware the power to appoint the Attorney General for a five-year tenure. With the ratification of the Delaware Constitution of 1897, the post was converted to its present four-year elected form, also establishing the Attorney General as third in line of succession to the office of Governor, after the Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of State.
Gunning Bedford, Jr. was the first holder of the office after American independence. The office was held from 2007-2015 by Joseph R. "Beau" Biden III, who was elected in 2006 and took office on January 2, 2007. He was a Democrat and the eldest son of Vice President and former senior U.S. Senator from Delaware, Joseph R. Biden, Jr.. The current incumbent is Matt Denn, Lieutenant Governor of Delaware from 2009-2015.
Attorneys General of Delaware
- "New Delaware attorney general and state treasurer take oaths". WMDT (ABC) Channel 47. 6 January 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Scharf, John Thomas (1888). History of Delaware 1609-1888. 2 vols. Philadelphia: L. J. Richards & Co.
- Conrad, Henry C. (1908). History of the State of Delaware. Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Wickersham Company.
- Delaware Attorney General official website
- Delaware Attorney General articles at Legal Newsline Legal Journal
- Delaware Attorney General articles at ABA Journal
- News and Commentary at FindLaw
- Delaware Code at Law.Justia.com
- U.S. Supreme Court Opinions - "Cases with title containing: State of Delaware" at FindLaw
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Delaware Attorney General Matthew Denn profile at National Association of Attorneys General
- Press releases at State of Delaware news (news.delaware.gov)