Delaware Township, Defiance County, Ohio
|Delaware Township, Defiance County, Ohio|
Fields southeast of Sherwood
Location of Delaware Township in Defiance County
|• Total||36.0 sq mi (93.2 km2)|
|• Land||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||709 ft (216 m)|
|• Density||60/sq mi (23.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086031|
Delaware Township is one of the twelve townships of Defiance County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,134 people in the township, 1,307 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Tiffin Township - northeast corner
- Noble Township - east
- Defiance Township - southeast
- Emerald Township, Paulding County - south
- Crane Township, Paulding County - southwest corner
- Mark Township - west
- Farmer Township - northwest corner
The village of Sherwood is located in western Delaware Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Significant highways in Delaware Township include:
- County Road 424, which travels east–west through the southern half of the township
- U.S. Route 127, which travels north–south through Sherwood in the western half of the township
- State Route 18, which travels east–west through the center of the township
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Delaware township, Defiance County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Delaware township, Delaware township, Defiance County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 34. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.