Delaware Valley Regional High School
|Delaware Valley Regional High School|
|19 Senator Stout Road
Frenchtown, NJ 08825
|Business administrator||Teresa Barna|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||952 (as of 2013-14)|
|Faculty||70.4 (on FTE basis)|
|District Factor Group||GH|
|Delaware Valley Regional High School|
|Frenchtown, New Jersey 08825|
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"To enrich the lives of all students through exceptional education as per NJ core content standards"|
|Vice principal||Adam Wright|
Navy Blue and|
|Athletics conference||Skyland Conference|
Delaware Valley Regional High School is a regional, four-year public high school and school district, that serves students in western Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. The high school is located in Alexandria Township. Students hail from the townships of Alexandria, Holland and Kingwood along with the boroughs of Frenchtown and Milford.
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 952 students and 70.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.5:1. There were 48 students (5.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 25 (2.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "GH", the third-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 140th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 131st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 88th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 83rd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 80th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 180th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 81 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (79.4%) and language arts literacy (93.3%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Delaware Valley Regional High School Terriers compete in the Skyland Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 652 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 506 to 749 students in that grade range.
The Del Val wrestling team has had eight individual state champions and 33 individual state placewinners. The team has been the Central Jersey Group II Champion 14 times, and has won the New Jersey Group II state championship seven times, winning the title in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1999.
In 2002, the Delaware Valley girls' soccer program won the school's only state championship, led by senior striker Cathy Abel who scored 36 goals while finishing her career with a school-record 82 goals and 52 assists. The team posted a record of 20 wins, 2 losses, and 3 draws on the way to winning the Hunterdon/Warren County Tournament Championship, the Central Jersey Group II Sectional Championship and shared the Group II state championship after a scoreless tie with Indian Hills High School.
The school's boys' and girls' cross-country teams have achieved success in the past few decades. In 2008 the boys' and girls' cross country teams won the Skyland Conference Raritan Division, the boys finishing 9-0 and the girls 7-0. Also in 2008 Julia Mark and Emma Giantisco placed 1st and 3rd at the Group II State Meet and 9th and 15th at the Meet of Champions. In 2009 under former Del Val grad and former boys' assistant coach for the past few years, Dave Giantisco, the Boys' XC Team went undefeated 10-0 bringing its dual meet streak to 20-0. The team won the CJ Group II title for the first time since 1986, placed 2nd at the Group II State Meet and placed 12th at the Meet of Champs. This was the first time the Del Val Boys' team made MoCs since 1975. In 2010, the team extended their dual meet streak to 26-0, won the CJ Group II title again, and took 3rd at Groups, qualifying them for MoCs for back to back years.
The 2000 football team made it to the playoffs for the first time in school history, and posted the up-to-then best record while making it to the semi-final playoff game vs. Manasquan High School where they lost 40-0. The football team made it to the 2007 Central Jersey Group II state sectional tournament, falling to Carteret High School by a score of 13-7. The football team also earned the region title in 2011 and made it to the semi-final round in the state playoffs.
The Delaware Valley Regional High School cheerleading team has become one of the most recognized teams in the state and nation. They compete every year in the UCA National Cheerleading Competition in Orlando, Florida. The 2011-2012 team ended the season with 5th-place ranking in the UCA National High School Cheerleading championships as well as two New Jersey state championships in Medium Varsity and Group II. The 2010-2011 team was ranked 8th in the nation at the NHSCC. Their 2008-09 varsity team earned a 5th-place ranking at the UCA Nationals, as well as 1st place in The Garden State Open. They have also earned the NJ State Medium Varsity Champions for the 2006-07 and the 2007-2008 seasons. Prior to, they also earned state championship titles in both Medium Varsity as well as Division 2 from 2000-2004. The coaches are UCA affiliated.
During the 2007-08 school year, the Del Val Superintendent, Dr. Walsh, was accused of embezzling money from the school. After a trial that lasted over a year, he was imprisoned. The Superintendent who followed, Dr. Elizabeth Nastus, made an announcement during the 2008-09 school year addressing this the day after he pleaded guilty of embezzlement of $90,000 to the district courts. The funds were insured through the state, and were later documented and recovered at no cost to local taxpayers.
- Daria Wasserbach – Superintendent
- Teresa E. Barna - Business Administrator and Secretary to the Board of Education
- Adrienne Olcott - Principal
- Adam Wright - Vice Principal
Board of Education
The Delaware Valley Regional board of education has nine members elected by voters to three-year terms of office on a staggered basis, with three seats up for election each year. Three members are elected from Holland Township, two each from both Alexandria Township and Kingwood Township, and one each from both Frenchtown and Milford. The board is responsible for establishing policies and regulations. They are also given the task of formulating a budget for the district. As of 2012, elections were shifted from April to the November General Election.
- Board members (with municipality and term-end year listed)
- President Ellen J. Gordon (2013 Board President) - Milford (2016)
- Vice President Brett Reina - Holland Township (2015)
- Sharon Lightner - Kingwood Township (2017)
- Debora Frank - Kingwood Township (2015)
- Geoffrey Stanley - Frenchtown (2017)
- Sandra J. Howell - Holland Township (2016)
- Sharon J. Kelly - Alexandria Township (2015)
- William H. Martin - Holland Township (2016)
- Henry Ihling - Alexandria Township (2017)
- School Data for Delaware Valley Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Delaware Valley Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Delaware Valley Regional School District 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 6, 2016. "The Delaware Valley Regional High School District can be found in the heart of pastoral and beautiful Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The District serves students in grades nine through twelve who reside in the five municipalities that comprise our region: Alexandria Township, Frenchtown Borough, Holland Township, Kingwood Township, and Milford Borough."
- About Us, Delaware Valley Regional High School District. Accessed June 6, 2016. "The Delaware Valley Regional High School District can be found in the heart of pastoral and beautiful Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The District serves students in grades nine through twelve who reside in the five municipalities that comprise our region: Alexandria Township, Frenchtown Borough, Holland Township, Kingwood Township, and Milford Borough."
- Chief School Administrators/Sending Districts, Hunterdon County, New Jersey Superintendent of Schools. Accessed June 6, 2016.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 25, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Delaware Valley Wrestling
- History of The NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 25, 2012.
- Staff. "Girls' teams share titles", Asbury Park Press, November 24, 2002. Accessed September 21, 2011. "After playing 100 minutes of scoreless soccer, Delaware Valley (20-2-3) and Indian Hills (18-3-1) shared the Group II championship."
- 2007 Football - Central, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 20, 2008.
- Ryan, Joe. "School superintendent admits he stole from Delaware Valley Regional", The Star-Ledger, January 8, 2009. Accessed March 20, 2011.
- Wojcik, Sarah M. "Delaware Valley Regional High School finishes audits, finds $115,916 missing during former business administrator's tenure", The Express-Times, November 5, 2010. Accessed May 26, 2016. "Nastus said now that the $115,916 of stolen funds is documented, the school district can recover the money at no cost to the taxpayers. This is possible because Walsh took the monies while he was working as a business administrator, and the money was insured with the state, she said."
- District Administration, Delaware Valley Regional High School. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- School Administration, Delaware Valley Regional High School. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for Hunterdon County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Board of Education Members, Delaware Valley Regional High School. Accessed November 7, 2013.
- Delaware Valley Regional High School
- Delaware Valley Regional High School's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Delaware Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics