Delfin Carbonell Basset
Carbonell Basset was born in Spain in 1949. He was educated in the US, in Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pa. and later joined the faculty of Franklin & Marshall College in Pennsylvania. According to articles written about him in the Spanish newspaper La Razón, by José María Carrascal, he compiles dictionaries on his own, with no teams of experts. He is the creator of the Unialphabet system for bilingual dictionaries, where they are not divided into two languages. This was first used in his Spanish and English Dictionary of Idioms and in The new Dictionary of Current Sayings and Proverbs, Spanish and English, foreworded by John Simpson, of the University of Oxford.
For over twenty years, Carbonell Basset was the Director of the Marshall Institute of Languages in Madrid, Spain.
- A Phraseological Dictionary, English and Spanish (Ediciones del Serbal, 1995)
- Dictionary of Proverbs, English and Spanish, (Ediciones del Serbal, 1996 and Barron’s Educational Series, 1998, N.Y. Special Award for Bilingual Lexicography, Universidad de Extremadura, Spain)
- A Spanish and English Dictionary of Slang And Unconventional Language, with a foreword by Camilo José Cela (Ediciones del Serbal, 1997)
- Gran diccionario de argot: El sohez, de autoridades del español cotidiano, popular,. coloquial... Prólogo de Luis María Anson, de la Real Academia Española. (Larousse, 2000; McGraw-Hill, Chicago, November, 2002.)
- Diccionario panhispánico de refranes de autoridades, with a foreword by Alonso Zamora Vicente, de la Real Academia Española, (Editorial Herder, November, 2002.)
- A Spanish and English Dictionary of Idioms, Foreword by Edward Gates (Serbal, June, 2004).
- The New Dictionary of Current Sayings and Proverbs, Spanish and English Foreword by John Simpson, Editor in Chief, OED (Serbal, 2005)
- Diccionario de clichés (Foreword by José Jiménez Lozano, Premio Cervantes 2002, Ed. Del Serbal, 2006.)
- Diccionario Sohez de uso del español cotidiano (Ed. Serbal, 2007)
- Diccionario panhispánico de citas, 1900-2008 (Prólogo de Enrique Vila-Matas, Ed. Serbal, 2008)
- Diccionario fraseológico del Siglo de Oro (Edición con Abraham Madroñal, Ed. Serbal, 2008)
- El laberinto del idioma inglés, hoja de ruta (Prólogo Dr. James A. Parr, Ed. Serbal, 2009)
Ed. of La lengua de Cervantes, Julio Cejador, with Dr. James A. Parr (ED. Serbal, 2011)
- Gramática inglesa para torpes (Prol. Fernando Sánchez Dragó, Anaya, 2013)
- Escribir bien para torpes (Prol. Antonio Muñoz Molina, Anaya, 2013)