Delgado Community College
|Type||Public community college|
|Louisiana Community and Technical College System|
|Colors||Green & gold|
|NJCAA - LCCAC|
Delgado Community College (DCC) is a public community college in Louisiana with campuses throughout the New Orleans metropolitan area. Its current campuses are in New Orleans (Orleans Parish) and in Jefferson Parish. The original main campus—City Park Campus—is located in the Navarre neighborhood adjacent to New Orleans City Park.
Delgado Community College is one of nine community colleges which operate under the auspices of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System. The institution originally opened in 1921 as Delgado Trades (plural) School; it went through several reorganizations and was finally declared "Delgado Community College" by the Louisiana State Legislature in 1980, under the administration of Governor David C. Treen.
There were two campuses in St. Tammany Parish: one in Slidell, Louisiana, the Slidell Learning Center, and one in Covington, Louisiana, the Delgado Northshore campus that first opened in 1987. The Covington campus closed at the end of the spring 2014 semester. The Slidell campus closed in 2016 due to financial issues.
The Delgado Dolphins are composed of 3 athletic teams representing Delgado Community College in intercollegiate athletics, including baseball and men's and women's basketball. The Dolphins compete in National Junior College Athletic Association Division 1, Region 23. The Dolphins sports teams are members of the MISS-LOU Junior College Conference.
- Billy Kennedy, assistant basketball coach for Wichita State
- Steve Theriot, member of the Louisiana House of Representatives (1988–1996) and state legislative auditor (2004–2009)
- Irma Thomas, Grammy Award winning artist.
- Scott Arceneaux Jr., member of New Orleans hip hop duo Suicideboys
Notable faculty and staff
- Cameron Henry, member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from District 82, is a former adjunct business professor at Delgado.
- Nita Rusich Hutter, District 104 state representative from St. Bernard Parish is an administrator at Delgado.
- "Our Colleges". Louisiana's Technical and Community Colleges. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Locations". Delgado Community College. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
The Sidney Collier Site [...] as well as St. Tammany and St. Bernard parishes.
- Delgado Community College to Close Covington Campus Next Year. Katherine Sayre, publisher=NOLA, date=2013-03-20
- "Delgado's Slidell campus closing; students will have alternatives". Fox 8 News. 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
[...]Northshore Technical Community College or Nunez Community College, starting immediately.[...]
- "Delgado Athletics". delgadoathletics.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delgado Community College.|