Delhi Public School, R. K. Puram
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Delhi Public School|
|R. K. Puram, Sector 12
New Delhi - 110022
|Motto||Service Before Self|
|Established||29 Jan 1972|
|Area||12 acres (49,000 m2)|
|Affiliations||Central Board of Secondary Education|
Delhi Public School (DPS), R. K. Puram is run by the Delhi Public School Society in Rama Krishna Puram, New Delhi, India. It is a co-educational day and boarding school with around 7,800 students spread across its 3 campuses at R.K. Puram, East of Kailash and Vasant Vihar. DPS RKP is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), the Indian Public Schools' Conference (IPSC) and the National Progressive Schools' Conference (NPSC).
DPS R. K. Puram was the second school founded by the Delhi Public School Society, the first being the Delhi Public School at Mathura Road. DPS R.K. Puram was established in 1972 by Ms. Lathashishtha as the headmistress. Mr. R. S. Lugani, after a few years, took over as its first principal. While remaining part of the DPS Society, the school at R.K. Puram soon became independent of its parent as of now.
|Principal - Ms. Vanita Sehgal|
|Vice Principal - Dr. Renu Nayar|
|Vice Principal - Mrs. Anita Singh|
|Vice Principal - Ms. Padma Srinivasan|
The school is a day and boarding school with 9,500 students . Accommodation is provided to more than 400 boarding students within the on-site girls' hostel and the boys' the road on the school's sports campus. The millennium hostel was headed by Dr. Daulat Ram Saini, who was previously the Principal.  The school has its own full size soccer field and a full size cricket field. It has a separate sports complex which quite big and has many facilities that include a proper gym, two tennis courts, 2 basketball courts and a badminton court. It also has a boys and a girls swimming pool. It also has a running tracks.
Clubs and Societies
Extracurricular activities are a compulsory element of school life at Delhi Public School. The school magazine is published each school term. There are around forty clubs and societies, including drama, painting, sculpture, community service, music, senior and junior English debating societies, economics, astronomy, computer science, physics, and robotics. In many societies students come together to discuss a particular topic, presided over by a faculty member and often including a guest speaker. The school has often invited prominent figures to give speeches and talks to the students; these have included heads of state, politicians, artists, writers, diplomats, and industrialists. Major clubs include : Aeross (Aerospace Society), Exun (Tech club) and the Quizzing Club.
On 29 August 2002 during the "1st Computer Literacy Excellence Awards for Schools", President of India A. P. J. Abdul Kalam presented an award to Dr. (Mrs.) Shayama Chona, ex-Principal of DPS R K Puram. The award was for the Best School at the State (Delhi) Level and the second runner-up for the entire country. In 2008, Dr. Chona received the Padma Bhushan award. Dr. Chona was the founder of Tamana Special School, a school for the education of physically and mentally handicapped children.
Academia and entertainment, business
- Ruchir Sharma – Head of the Emerging Markets Equity team at Morgan Stanley.
- Harsh Chitale
- Ashwin Srivastava
Politics and bureaucracy
- Raghuram Rajan – 23rd Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- Nikhil Kumar - Former Governor of Kerala and Nagaland. Retired Delhi Police Commissioner and Director General, NSG.
- Pravesh Verma – Member of the India Parliament for West Delhi.
TV and print media
- Ambika Anand – Anchor, NDTV.
- Ankit Fadia – Security Charlatan, self-proclaimed ethical hacker, author of several plagiarised books and Host of MTV What the Hack.
- Mayank Shekhar – Journalist and Film Critic.
- Paaras Zutshi – Winner of the reality show Superdude on UTV Bindass.
- Randeep Hooda – Bollywood actor.
- Kriti Sanon – Bollywood actress and model.
- Maneesh Sharma – Bollywood film director.
- Indrani Dasgupta – Bollywood actor and model.
- Shilpa Shukla – Bollywood actress, known for her work in the Indian Parallel Cinema.
- Amol Parashar – Bollywood actor
- "DPS Model United Nations Conference". Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "About us". Delhi Public School, R.K. Puram. Archived from the original on 15 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Hostels infrastructure". Delhi Public School, R.K. Puram. Archived from the original on 28 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "From Principal's desk". Delhi Public School, R.K. Puram. Archived from the original on 28 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Exun Clan". www.exunclan.com. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- "Mittal, Tata get Padma Vibhushan". The Economic Times. 26 January 2008.
- "From the President's desk, Tamana". Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- In 2016, a team of 12 students from Delhi Public School, RK Puram was awarded by the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi for the outstanding excellence in the field of aerospace.
- Catch the MTV Youth Icons
- "Mahesh Babu and Kriti Sanon in 1 Nenokkadine". gallery.oneindia.in.
- "Joyride on the ramp". The Hindu. 9 October 2003. Retrieved 13 June 2012.