Deliver the Word
|Deliver the Word|
|Studio album by War|
1973 at Crystal Industries & Wally Heider Studios, Los Angeles, California |
Caribou Studios, Nederland, Colorado
|Label||United Artists Records|
|Producer||Jerry Goldstein, Lonnie Jordan, Howard Scott|
The album featured two singles, "Gypsy Man" (severely truncated from the 11 minute album version) backed with "Deliver the Word" (US #8), and "Me and Baby Brother" backed with "In Your Eyes" (US #15). A live version of "Me and Baby Brother" had been released previously on All Day Music (1971). The title "H2Overture" is a pun on H2O, the chemical formula for water.
A 4-channel surround sound (quadraphonic) mix was also released for the album in the 8-track tape format (United Artists UA-DA128-H), featuring a different track order, a reprise of "H2Overture" with early fade-out, and an early fade-out of "Gypsy Man".
The cover was printed using metallic silver ink on black, and the cover is textured, resembling black leather as used for the covers of Bibles (the album title being a phrase associated with the Bible). A die-cut window in the lower left corner reveals part of the innersleeve which shows a human figure walking along a deserted beach with his head bowed. The other side of the innersleeve shows the same picture, but mirror reversed, and tinted blue instead of orange. When the cover is inserted the other way around, the window reveals an empty beach with sunlight (which, in blue, looks like moonlight) reflecting off the water. The album design and photo is credited to Gary Sato, with Lee Oskar credited for cover concept.
- "H2Overture" – 4:38
- "In Your Eyes" – 4:22
- "Gypsy Man" – 11:35
- "Me and Baby Brother" – 3:30
- "Deliver the Word" – 7:48
- "Southern Part of Texas" (War, Jerry Goldstein) – 6:22
- "Blisters" – 2:21
Quadraphonic tape edition
- "Gypsy Man"
- "Southern Part of Texas"
- "Me and Baby Brother"
- "Deliver the Word"
- "H2Overture (Reprise)"
- "In Your Eyes"
- Howard Scott – guitar, percussion, vocals
- B.B. Dickerson – bass, percussion, vocals
- Lonnie Jordan – organ, piano, ARP violins, synthesizer, timbales, percussion, vocals
- Harold Brown – drums, percussion, vocals
- Papa Dee Allen – conga, bongos, percussion, vocals
- Charles Miller – clarinet, alto, tenor and baritone saxes, percussion, vocals
- Lee Oskar – harmonica, percussion, vocals
|1973||Deliver the Word||6||1|
|"Me and Baby Brother"||15 (1974)||18||—|