|Yellow Ice plant flowers|
Delosperma ('delos'=evident, 'sperma'=seed) is a genus of around 100 species of succulent plants, formerly included in Mesembryanthemum in the family Aizoaceae. The family is common in southern and eastern Africa. Delosperma species, as do most Aizoaceae, have hygrochastic capsules, opening and closing with changes in humidity.
Plants of the genus Delosperma can be distinguished by their seed capsules. When these open (in response to rain), the seeds are exposed and not covered by a protective membrane, like those of most other plants in the family. The membrane is sometimes reduced to just a ledge (a feature shared by the related genus Trichodiadema. The triangular valves, which open outwards when wet, each have distinctive wings on either side.
Delosperma leaves tend to grooved or covered in bladder cells, which are sometimes even extended into hairs. The leaf shape is cylindrical or sometimes flattened.
Delosperma floribundum leaves showing bladder cells typical of this genus
The bladder cells of Delosperma sutherlandii are elongated into fine hairs
The bladder cells of Delosperma pruinosum are extended into thicker hairs.
Delosperma species are long-lived, and flower mostly in the summer. Their flowers vary greatly in colour.
- Delosperma acuminatum
- Delosperma alpina
- Delosperma bosseranum, iceplant
- Delosperma cooperi
- Delosperma congestum
- Delosperma echinatum
- Delosperma ecklonis
- Delosperma esterhuyseniae
- Delosperma floribunda
- Delosperma hallii
- Delosperma harazianum
- Delosperma harazianum Shibam
- Delosperma hirtum
- Delosperma hallii aff. litorale St. Fancis Bay
- Delosperma lehmannii
- Delosperma lydenburgense
- Delosperma nakurense
- Delosperma nubigenum
- Delosperma pageanum
- Delosperma pergamentaceum
- Delosperma sutherlandii
- Delosperma tradescantiodes
- Harrington MJ, Razghandi K, Ditsch F, Guiducci L, Rueggeberg M, Dunlop JW, Fratzl P, Neinhuis C, Burgert I (2011). "Origami-like unfolding of hydro-actuated ice plant seed capsules". Nat. Commun. 2: 337. doi:10.1038/ncomms1336. PMID 21654637.
- Delosperma - SANBI
- Trout's Notes on Delosperma
- "Delosperma bosseranum - Entheopedia.Org: The Encyclopedia of Entheogenic Plants". entheopedia.org.
- "The Succulent Garden :: Online nursery specialising in Succulent Plants". www.thesucculentgarden.com.au.
- Bussmann, R. W., et al. (2006). Plant use of the Maasai of Sekenani Valley, Maasai Mara, Kenya. J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2 22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delosperma.|
- Jepson Manual Treatment
- USDA Plants Profile: North American Species
- Flora of North America
- Notes on growing Delosperma
- Notes and images on Delosperma
- hydropower seed capsule origami
|This Aizoaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|