|Born||8 November 1974|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
Delphine Horvilleur (French pronunciation: [dɛlfin ɔʁvilœʁ]; born 8 November 1974) is France's third female rabbi, and (as of 2012) editorial director of the quarterly Jewish magazine Revue de pensée(s) juive(s) Tenou'a. She leads a congregation in Paris, and is currently co-leading the Liberal Jewish Movement of France, a Jewish liberal cultural and religious association affiliated to the World Union for Progressive Judaism, which she joined in 2008. In 2013 her book En tenue d’Eve. Féminin, Pudeur et Judaïsme (In a Birthday Suit: Feminism, Modesty and Judaism), which discusses the representation of nudity and modesty in the Bible, was published.
Horvilleur was born and raised in Nancy, but moved to Jerusalem at the age of 17 and studied life sciences at the Hebrew University. Five years later, she came back to Paris and worked as a journalist. She studied with well-known Jewish scholars, such as French philosopher Marc-Alain Ouaknin and ex-Chief Rabbi Gilles Bernheim, and eventually moved to New York and studied at Drisha Yeshiva. She was ordained at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in New York in 2008, and later returned to France. In 2016, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem awarded her a special commendation.
In 2009, Horvilleur became editor-in-chief of Tenou'a a quarterly journal published by the Tenou'a association from the Liberal Jewish Movement of France. It makes it a reference magazine of liberal Jewish thought in France, where various religious sensibilities are found around societal issues (feminism, environment, sexuality, migration policy, etc.).
In 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, Horvilleur became known for her weekly online Zoom talks on Jewish texts. Her popular lectures were attended by a variety people outside of the Jewish community.
- Notarikon: The Rabbinic Art of Word-breaking. Brookdale Center: Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. 2008. OCLC 192021507.
- Horvilleur, Delphine (2011). "Lifting the Curtain - The theatrical Kol Nidre". In Hoffman, Rabbi Lawrence A. (ed.). All these Vows. Jewish Lights Publishing. pp. 150–154.
- En tenue d’Ève : féminin, pudeur et judaïsme (in French). Grasset. 2013. ISBN 2757869663. OCLC 1024070980.
- Comment les rabbins font les enfants ? : sexe, transmission, identité dans le judaïsme (in French). Grasset. 2015. ISBN 2253186090. OCLC 993080865.
- Des mille et une façons d’être juif ou musulman (in French). Seuil. 2017. ISBN 2021349314. OCLC 1033520372. with Rachid Benzine,
- Réflexions sur la question antisémite (in French). Grasset. 2019. ISBN 2253820342. OCLC 1140368044. in English released as Anti-Semitism Revisited: How the Rabbis Made Sense of Hatred. MacLehose Press. 2021. ISBN 978-1529404753.
- Comprendre le monde (in French). Bayard Culture. 2020. ISBN 2227497998. OCLC 1163855144.
- Vivre avec nos morts (in French). Grasset. 2021. ISBN 9782246826941.
- Il n'y a pas de Ajar (in French). Grasset. 2022. ISBN 9782246831563.
- Benhamou, Rebecca (21 June 2013). "No liberté and égalité in France for women rabbis". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "32nd IAJGS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE on JEWISH GENEALOGY - Paris from 15th till 18th July 2012 - Rabbin Delphine HORVILLEUR". Paris2012.eu. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Delphine Horvilleur : " Pour rester vivante, la religion doit être bousculée " - societe - Elle". Elle.fr. 21 December 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- (French) Sonia Sarah Lipsyc,"Delphine Horvilleur, 3ème femme rabbin en France", 6 December 2008.
- "Our Rabbis". Mjlf.org. 27 September 2008. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Halpern, Gilad (8 July 2012). "Just don't call her 'Monsieur le rabbin' - Israel News". Haaretz. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Klug, Lisa (5 September 2016). "France's foremost female rabbi takes a stab at the patriarchy". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Delphine Horvilleur : " On renvoie toujours la femme à son utérus "" (in French). 26 March 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- Lieblich, Julia (30 September 2022). "French Feminist Rabbi Captivates Multifaith Crowds With Musings on Mortality". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2 October 2022.
- "Woman is the Jew of the world". Haaretz.com. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "Réflexions sur la question antisémite (pour pour tout le monde) • Grasset • L'essai du mois, Antisémitisme, Haine, Judaïsme, Delphine Horvilleur, Totalité, Altérité • Philosophie magazine". www.philomag.com. 1 March 2019. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2020.