Horvilleur in October 2013
|Alma mater||Hebrew University|
Delphine Horvilleur (born 1974) is France's third female rabbi, and (as of 2012) editor-in-Chief of the quarterly Jewish magazine Revue de pensée(s) juive(s) Tenou'a. She leads a congregation in Paris, and is currently co-leading the Liberal Jewish Movement of France, a Jewish liberal cultural and religious association affiliated to the World Union for Progressive Judaism, which she joined in 2008. In 2013 her book "En tenue d’Eve. Féminin, Pudeur et Judaïsme" ("In a Birthday Suit: Feminism, Modesty and Judaism"), which discusses the representation of nudity and modesty in the Bible, was published.
She was born and raised in Nancy, but moved to Jerusalem at the age of 17 and studied life sciences at the Hebrew University. Five years later, she came back to Paris and worked as a journalist. She studied with well-known Jewish scholars, such as French philosopher Marc-Alain Ouaknin and ex-Chief Rabbi Gilles Bernheim, and eventually moved to New York and studied at Drisha Yeshiva. She was ordained at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in New York in 2008, and later returned to France. In 2016, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem awarded her a special commendation.
- (en) Notarikon: The Rabbinic Art of Word-breaking, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Brookdale Center, 2008.
- (en) Lifting the Curtain - The theatrical Kol Nidre [archive], article of Delphine Horvilleur in the collective work All these Vows [archive] published by rabbin Lawrence A. Hoffman (en), 2011, Jewish Lights Publishing.
- (fr) En tenue d’Ève : féminin, pudeur et judaïsme, Grasset, 2013
- (fr) Comment les rabbins font les enfants, Grasset, 2015
- (fr) with Rachid Benzine, Des mille et une façons d’être juif ou musulman, Seuil, 2017
- Benhamou, Rebecca (2013-06-21). "No liberté and égalité in France for women rabbis". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "32nd IAJGS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE on JEWISH GENEALOGY - Paris from 15th till 18th July 2012 - Rabbin Delphine HORVILLEUR". Paris2012.eu. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Delphine Horvilleur : " Pour rester vivante, la religion doit être bousculée " - societe - Elle". Elle.fr. 2012-12-21. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- (French) Sonia Sarah Lipsyc,"Delphine Horvilleur, 3ème femme rabbin en France", 6 December 2008.
- "Our Rabbis". Mjlf.org. 27 September 2008. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Halpern, Gilad (2012-07-08). "Just don't call her 'Monsieur le rabbin' - Israel News". Haaretz. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Klug, Lisa (2016-09-05). "France's foremost female rabbi takes a stab at the patriarchy". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2016-12-16.
-  Website of the Tenou’a magazine