Delran High School
|Delran High School|
|52 Hartford Road
Delran, NJ 08075
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Delran Township School District|
|Principal||Daniel S. Finkle|
|Assistant principals||Lena Galati
|Faculty||67.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.35:1|
|Color(s)||‹See Tfm› Brown
‹See Tfm› Gold
|Athletics conference||Burlington County Scholastic League (Patriot Division)|
Delran High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from Delran Township in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Delran Township School District.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 830 students and 67.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.35:1. There were 117 students (14.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 54 (6.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
As of the 2011–12 school year, Delran High School was 77% White, 11% Black, 6% Hispanic, 4% Asian, 2% two or more races, 0.1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 0% Hawaii Native/Pacific Islander.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 169th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 230th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 179th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 155th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 112th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Delran High School Bears compete in the Patriot Division of the Burlington County Scholastic League (BCSL) sports association, which operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) and consists of public and non-public high schools covering Burlington County, Camden County, Mercer County and Ocean County in Central Jersey. With 619 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 506 to 749 students in that grade range. The school's mascot is the Bear and school colors are brown, gold, and white.
The Delran High School boys soccer team have won the NJSIAA boys soccer group championship five times in a 10-year period; 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2013. They were co-champs in the 2003 Group I state championship after a 1–1 tie with Harrison High School. The team moved on to win the 2004 Group II State Championship with a shootout win vs. Cinnaminson High School in the semifinals and a 2–1 victory against Harrison High School in the tournament final. In 2005, they lost the sectional finals with a 2–1 loss to Haddonfield Memorial High School. In 2007 The team also made it to the sectional finals with a 4–1 loss to Cinnaminson High School. 2007 was their last year in the South Jersey Group II Sectionals. Now the team is currently playing in the Central Jersey Group II. They won the 2008 Central Jersey Group II sectional with a 3–1 win over Shore Regional High School. Then they moved on to play Middle Township High School in the state semis and won 4–2. They drew 2–2 in the state finals to Cliffside Park High School. They recently won the 2009 Central Jersey Group II with a 2–1 over-time victory in the quarter-finals over school rival Cinnaminson High School. In the finals they defeated Raritan High School in penalty-kicks after drawing 0–0 at the normal time. Then they played West Deptford High School and pulled a 1–0 victory over the South Jersey Group II champions in the state semi-finals. In the state finals they had a re-match with Cliffside Park High School (the team they tied in the state-finals the previous year) and ended up beating them, 2-0. By winning the Group II State Championships they finished their 2009 season with a 21-2-1(w-l-d) and were ranked 5th in the state, 2nd in South Jersey and 1st in Group II by the newspaper Star-Ledger. On Nov. 24, 2013, the team defeated Newton High School 3-2 in overtime to win the Group 2 title.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Daniel S. Finkle, Principal
- Lena Galati, Assistant Principal
- Brian Stolarick, Assistant Principal
- Bill Duff (born 1974), co-host of Human Weapon on History and is a former National Football League defensive tackle.
- Carli Lloyd (born 1982), United States women's national soccer team midfielder and 2008 Summer Olympics and 2012 Summer Olympics Gold Medalist.
- Tony Sacca (born 1970), former quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League.
- Peter Vermes (born 1966), United States men's national soccer team defender, former professional soccer player. Current head coach of the Kansas City Wizards of Major League Soccer.
- School Data for Delran High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 8, 2015.
- Delran High School in DELRAN, NJ Student Body, U.S. News & World Report. Accessed February 8, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 4, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 14, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- 2004 Boys Soccer – Central, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 2, 2007.
- 2004 Boys Soccer – Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 2, 2007.
- 2005 Boys Soccer – South, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 2, 2007.
- 2008 Boys Soccer – Public Finals
- 2009 Boys State Tournament – Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 20, 2010.
- NJ BOYS SOCCER 2009: State, group and area rankings, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 20, 2010.
- Varsity Tier II Teams, South Jersey High School Ice Hockey League. Accessed July 26, 2012.
- Administration, Delran High School. Accessed June 26, 2015.
- Staff. "Eagles' Johnson anxiously awaits return to lineup against Browns", Courier Post, July 29, 2000. Accessed January 29, 2011. "Local look Bill Duff, a graduate of Delran High School, is listed as the third- team right defensive tackle for the Browns behind starter Stalin Colinet."
- via Associated Press. "Parade to honor Delran soccer hero Carli Lloyd on Labor Day", The Star-Ledger, August 24, 2008. Accessed January 29, 2011. "The 2000 graduate of Delran High School scored the only goal in the U.S. women's team's 1–0 victory over Brazil in the gold medal match."
- Staff. "SACCA: MOST UNHAPPY FELLA AT HAPPY VALLEY", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 13, 1989. Accessed January 29, 2011.
- Boyce, David. "Pair of Wizards honored: Vermes, Meola win MLS awards", The Kansas City Star, October 11, 2000. Accessed January 29, 2011. "Their relationship goes back 17 years ago when Vermes' Delran High School played against Meola's powerful Kearny High School..."
- Delran High School
- Delran Township School District
- Delran Ice Hockey Club
- Delran Township School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Delran Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics