Delta County, Colorado
Location within the U.S. state of Colorado
Colorado's location within the U.S.
|Founded||February 11, 1883|
|Named for||City of Delta, Colorado|
|• Total||1,149 sq mi (2,980 km2)|
|• Land||1,142 sq mi (2,960 km2)|
|• Water||6.5 sq mi (17 km2) 0.6%%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||27/sq mi (10/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−7 (Mountain)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−6 (MDT)|
Delta County was created by the Colorado legislature on February 11, 1883, out of portions of central Gunnison County. The county was named from a delta of arable land at the mouth of the Uncompahgre River, where it flows into the Gunnison River.
National protected areas
- Dominguez Canyon Wilderness
- Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area (part)
- Grand Mesa National Forest
- Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area (part)
- Gunnison Gorge Wilderness
State protected areas
Trails and byways
- American Discovery Trail
- Crag Crest National Recreation Trail
- Old Spanish National Historic Trail
- Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway
- West Elk Loop Scenic Byway
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2000 census there were 27,834 people, 11,058 households, and 7,939 families living in the county. The population density was 24 people per square mile (9/km2). There were 12,374 housing units at an average density of 11 per square mile (4/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 92.29% White, 0.52% Black or African American, 0.76% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 4.25% from other races, and 1.83% from two or more races. 11.39% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. Of the 11,058 households 29.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.30% were married couples living together, 7.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.20% were non-families. 24.80% of households were one person and 12.40% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.89.
The age distribution was 24.00% under the age of 18, 6.30% from 18 to 24, 23.60% from 25 to 44, 26.50% from 45 to 64, and 19.70% 65 or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 100.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.60 males.
The median household income was $32,785 and the median family income was $37,748. Males had a median income of $31,348 versus $19,916 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,152. About 8.50% of families and 12.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.00% of those under age 18 and 9.60% of those age 65 or over.
Delta is a powerfully Republican county. No Democratic presidential candidate has reached forty percent of Delta County's vote since Lyndon Johnson carried the county in 1964, and since 1920 Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1932 is the only other Democrat to gain a majority, although Roosevelt did win a plurality against Alf Landon in 1936.
The local papers are the Delta County Independent and the Merchant Herald.
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Delta County, Colorado
- Delta County Libraries
- Delta County Memorial Hospital
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on June 6, 2011. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. pp. 103.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Leip, David. "Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections". uselectionatlas.org. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Delta County Government website
- Colorado County Evolution by Don Stanwyck
- Colorado Historical Society
- Delta Real Time Weather
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delta County, Colorado.|