Delta Lake State Park
|Delta Lake State Park|
Location of Delta Lake State Park within New York State
|Location||8797 State Route 46
Rome, New York
|Nearest city||Rome, New York|
|Area||720 acres (2.9 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||209,556 (in 2014)|
|Website||Delta Lake State Park|
Delta Lake State Park is a 720-acre (2.9 km2) New York state park located on a peninsula extending from the southeast shore of Delta Lake in the Town of Western, in Oneida County, New York, United States. It is located off New York State Route 46, southwest of Westernville.
The peninsula that today contains Delta Lake State Park was created when the Mohawk River was impounded in 1908 to form Delta Lake, a reservoir intended to supply water to the New York State Barge Canal. The New York State Canal Corporation leased approximately 350 acres (1.4 km2) to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for the creation of a state park in 1962. In 2005, it was announced that the Canal Corporation would officially transfer the park's land, along with an additional 370 acres (1.5 km2), to the NYSOPRHP, bringing the park's total area to 720 acres (2.9 km2).
The park offers a beach, picnic tables and pavilions, a playground, a food concession, trails for hiking and bike riding, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and ice fishing, recreation programs, a boat launch, a campground with 101 tent and trailer sites, showers and a dump station.
- "Delta Lake State Park - Getting There". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Delta Lake State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Governor Announces Plans to Expand Delta Lake State Park". New York State Office of the Governor. September 7, 2005. Archived from the original on September 23, 2005. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Bowers, Bill; McNulty-Bowers, Eileen (2010). 50 Hikes in Central New York's Leatherstocking Country: From Lake Ontario to the Southern Tier. Woodstock, VT: Countryman Press. pp. 50–53. ISBN 0881508179. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
|This article about a location in Oneida County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|