Delyn (UK Parliament constituency)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Delyn in Wales.
|Electorate||54,405 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Mold, Flint, Holywell|
|Member of parliament||David Hanson (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Flintshire West, Flintshire East|
|Welsh Assembly||North Wales|
|European Parliament constituency||Wales|
Delyn is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, first used in the 1983 General Election. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
The Delyn Welsh Assembly constituency was created with the same boundaries in 1999.
1983-1997: The Borough of Delyn, and the Borough of Rhuddlan wards of Meliden, Prestatyn Central, Prestatyn East, Prestatyn North, and Prestatyn South West.
1997-2010: The Borough of Delyn.
2010-present: The Flintshire electoral divisions of Argoed, Bagillt East, Bagillt West, Brynford, Caerwys, Cilcain, Ffynnongroyw, Flint Castle, Flint Coleshill, Flint Oakenholt, Flint Trelawney, Greenfield, Gronant, Gwernaffield, Gwernymynydd, Halkyn, Holywell Central, Holywell East, Holywell West, Leeswood, Mold Broncoed, Mold East, Mold South, Mold West, Mostyn, New Brighton, Northop, Northop Hall, Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor, and Whitford.
Delyn constituency was created in 1983 from the seats of Flintshire West and Flintshire East. It is normally inclined to elect Labour MPs, although the Conservatives won the seat in their 1983 and 1987 landslide elections. From 1983 to 1997, the constituency included Tory-leaning Prestatyn, which was then transferred to the Vale of Clwyd seat.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Plaid Cymru||Paul Rowlinson||1,803||4.8||−0.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Tom Rippeth||1,380||3.7||−11.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Bill Brereton||5,747||15.5||−2.4|
|Plaid Cymru||Peter Ryder||1,844||5.0||−2.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||John Jones||6,089||17.9||+2.5|
|Plaid Cymru||Phil Thomas||2,524||7.4||+0.9|
|Liberal Democrat||John Jones||5,329||15.4||+5.2|
|Plaid Cymru||Paul Rowlinson||2,262||6.5||+2.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||David Lloyd||4,160||10.2||−1.0|
|Plaid Cymru||Ashley J. Drake||1,558||3.8||+1.3|
|Referendum||Elizabeth H. Soutter||1,117||2.7||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Raymond Dodd||6,208||11.2||−5.8|
|Plaid Cymru||Ashley J. Drake||1,414||2.5||−0.0|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+3.0|
Elections in the 1980s
|Plaid Cymru||David Owen||1,329||2.5||−0.7|
|Plaid Cymru||Haydn Huws||1,558||3.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Delyn result". Election Results For Delyn. Flintshire County Council. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Delyn BBC Election - Delyn
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.