Demeter Fragrance Library
The Demeter Fragrance Library (called The Library of Fragrance in Europe) is a Great Neck, New York company that sells over 200 different fragrances based on familiar, "everyday" scents, such as baby powder, dirt, gin & tonic, play-doh and tomato. The fragrances closely reproduce familiar odors, which Demeter calls "single-note, linear-experience fragrances".
"Demeter" was founded by ex-Kiehl's perfumer Christopher Brosius, in 1993, as a project 'bottle' everyday odors into wearable personal colognes. The first three colognes that were created – Dirt, Grass and Tomato – were launched at New York department stores, Bergdorf Goodman and Henri Bendel, in 1996. The three scents sold well, which led to further introductions to the range and unusual fragrances such as Gin & Tonic, Baby Powder and Play-Doh joined the portfolio.
In 2007 Demeter introduced of the Jelly Belly Collection (based on Jelly Belly jelly bean recipes), Crayon (which smells like a new box of crayons)"smells like that fresh box of crayons on the first day of school"), Pure Soap, and Egg Nog.
In 2015, Demeter launched in the United Kingdom as The Library of Fragrance, because the name "Demeter," which references the ancient Greek goddess of the harvest, is already in use by another company there. That year, Demeter / The Library of Fragrance launched Mountain Air, which is a scent representing the clean air of Alaska.
In 2016, Demeter products are sold in about 35 different countries around the world. In the UK, over 100 fragrances are available from The Library of Fragrance website and the brand's best-sellers can be found at over 1000 Boots stores across the UK and ROI.
Demeter fragrances are cologne concentration (2-4% perfume oil within the carrier of alcohol), as opposed to more commonly seen fragrance formats, such as "eau de toilette" or "eau de parfum", which have a higher ratio of perfume oil to alcohol and may therefore last longer on the skin of the wearer.
Some of the better known fragrances are Angel Food, Baby Powder, Carrot, Cosmopolitan Cocktail, Leather, Paperback, Play-Doh (created in 2006 to mark Play-Doh's 50th anniversary), Riding crop, Sushi, Pipe Tobacco, Turpentine, Snow, Lime, and Golden Delicious Apple. The fragrances in the line can be combined and layered together so that wearers can create their own fragrances. 
- "The best men's fragrances under $20". FashionBeans Lee Kynaston 28 October 2015. .
- "Interview with Mark Crames Demeter Fragrance library". fragrantica.com.
- "Want to smell like sushi, pizza... or a moonbeam? Bizarre new perfume range hits UK stores". Mail Online, Katy Winter, 3 September 2014
- "Demeter launches in UK next week as "Library of Fragrance"". basenotes.net.
- "The perfume you always wanted: Dirt, earthworms and gin & tonic scents". The Independent.
- "Boots is going to be selling 'Dirt' and 'Gin & Tonic' perfume - Metro News". Metro.
- "Library of Fragrance run of Mark Crames new perfume range hits UK stores - Daily Mail Online". Mail Online.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-09-18. Retrieved 2007-02-13.
- http://www.absolutebeaut.com/2014/11/bespoke-fragrance-thats-affordable-library-of-fragrance-clean-skin.html[dead link]