|Nationality||Greek and American|
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University|
Demetri Psaltis (Greek: Δημήτρης Ψάλτης) is a Greek-American electrical engineer and the Dean of the School of Engineering at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne since 2007. He is also a Professor in Bioengineering and Director of the Optics Laboratory of the EPFL. He is one of the founders of the term and the field of optofluidics. He is also well known for his past work in holography, especially with regards to optical computing, holographic data storage, and neural networks. He is an author of over 350 publications, contributed more than 20 book chapters, invented more than 50 patents, and currently has a h-index of 80.
Demetri Psaltis received his B.S. (1974), M.S. (1975), and Ph.D. (1977) at Carnegie Mellon University.
From 1980 to 2007, he worked at Caltech as an Assistant Professor (1980–1985), Associate Professor (1985–1990), Full Professor (1990–1996), Executive Officer for Computation and Neural Systems (1992–1996), Director for the National Science Foundation Center for Neuromorphic Systems Engineering (1996–1999), Thomas G. Myers Professor (1996–2007) and Director for the DARPA Center for Optofluidic Integration (2004–2007). In 2007, he moved to Switzerland as a Professor and Dean of the School of Engineering at EPFL.
2012 Emmett N. Leith Medal.
2006 SPIE Dennis Gabor Award.
2005 IEEE Fellow.
2003 Humboldt Prize for Senior U.S. Scientists.
2002 NASA Space Act Award.
1997 SPIE Fellow.
1989 International Commission for Optics (ICO) Prize for contributions in Optical Information Processing.
- NEWS EPFL :: The new face of engineering
- EPFL | LO - Optics Laboratory
- Research on New Types of Optical Devices Modifies Optics
- Erickson, David; Sinton, David; Psaltis, Demetri (September 11, 2011). "Optofluidics for energy applications". Nature Photonics: 583–590.
- Cuennet, J. G.; Vasdekis, A. E.; De Sio, L.; Psaltis, D. (2011). "Optofluidic modulator based on peristaltic nematogen microflows". Nature Photonics. 5 (4): 234–238. Bibcode:2011NaPho...5..234C. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2011.18.
- Psaltis, D.; Quake, S. R.; Yang, C. (2006). "Developing optofluidic technology through the fusion of microfluidics and optics". Nature. 442 (7101): 381–386. Bibcode:2006Natur.442..381P. doi:10.1038/nature05060. PMID 16871205.
- Yaqoob, Z.; Psaltis, D.; Feld, M. S.; Yang, C. (2008). "Optical phase conjugation for turbidity suppression in biological samples". Nature Photonics. 2 (2): 110–115. Bibcode:2008NaPho...2..110Y. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.297. PMC . PMID 19492016.
- Psaltis, D. (2002). "Coherent Optical Information Systems". Science. 298 (5597): 1359–1363. Bibcode:2002Sci...298.1359P. doi:10.1126/science.1078823. PMID 12434049.
- Psaltis, D.; Buse, K.; Adibi, A. (1998). "Non-volatile holographic storage in doubly doped lithium niobate crystals". Nature. 393 (6686): 665–668. Bibcode:1998Natur.393..665B. doi:10.1038/31429.
- Psaltis, D.; Brady, D.; Gu, X. G.; Lin, S. (1990). "Holography in artificial neural networks". Nature. 343 (6256): 325–330. Bibcode:1990Natur.343..325P. doi:10.1038/343325a0. PMID 2300184.
- EMMETT N. LEITH MEDAL Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Dennis Gabor Award - SPIE
- "IEEE - Fellows - P". IEEE. Archived from the original on December 7, 2013. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- "SPIE Fellows". SPIE. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- "ICO Prizes and Awards". ICO. Archived from the original on July 9, 2011. Retrieved July 5, 2011.