|United States Trade Representative|
March 15, 2013 – May 23, 2013
|Preceded by||Ron Kirk|
|Succeeded by||Miriam Sapiro (Acting)|
|Born||May 28, 1968|
Harrison, New York, United States
|Education||Princeton University (BA)|
Harvard University (JD)
Demetrios J. Marantis (born May 28, 1968) is an American lawyer, politician, and government official. He served as the acting United States Trade Representative (USTR) from March 15, 2013 until May 23, 2013. He served as the Deputy Trade Representative under Ron Kirk, and became the acting Trade Representative when Kirk resigned in March 2013.
Marantis attended Harrison High School in Harrison, New York. He received a Bachelor of Arts in public and international affairs from Princeton University in 1990. He then attended the Harvard Law School, where he received his juris doctor in 1993. Out of law school, Marantis joined the law firm of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, working in Washington, D.C. and Brussels. He joined the Office of the USTR in 1998 as its associate general counsel. In 2002, Marantis joined the U.S.-Vietnam Trade Council, living in Hanoi for a time, aiding United States–Vietnam trade relations. He returned to the United States to work on John Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign as an issue director for John Edwards, Kerry's running mate.
Marantis worked for United States Senate Committee on Finance as the chief international trade counsel, starting in 2005. He aided Max Baucus, the committee's chairman, negotiate an expansion of the Trade Adjustment Assistance with Republicans. The ranking Republican member of the committee, Charles Grassley, praised Marantis for his efforts. He rejoined the Office of the USTR in May 2009 as the Deputy Trade Representative, in charge of negotiating trade pacts and negotiating with China on tariffs and copyright laws.
- "Demetrios J. Marantis". The Washington Post. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Palmer, Doug (March 14, 2013). "Marantis to be acting U.S. trade chief as Kirk steps down - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. Reuters. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Garzilli, Anthony (2004-10-22). "Games come first for faithful Huskies fans". The Journal News. p. A.23. Retrieved 2013-04-11. (subscription required)
- "Senate confirms US deputy trade rep for Asia". Asiaone.com. 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- Visa Inc. Appoints Demetrios Marantis to Lead Global Government Relations (Business Wire article-October 6, 2015)
| United States Trade Representative