Deming Municipal Airport
|Deming Municipal Airport
Deming Army Airfield
2006 USGS Orthophoto
|IATA: DMN – ICAO: KDMN – FAA LID: DMN|
|Owner||City of Deming|
|Serves||Deming, New Mexico|
|Elevation AMSL||4,314 ft / 1,315 m|
In the year ending April 13, 2008 the airport had 28,655 aircraft operations, average 78 per day: 65% general aviation, 32% military and 3% air taxi. 17 aircraft were then based at this airport: 94% single-engine and 6% multi-engine.
World War II
Activated 15 November 1942. Conducted bombardier training for USAAF Gulf Coast Training Center (later Central Flying Command). The first class of bombardiers graduated on 6 March. In the next three years an estimated 12,000 cadets passed through the Deming Qin school. The bombardier trainer used was the Beech AT-11 Kansan.
Assigned to Second Air Force 16th Bombardment Training Wing on 31 December 1944. Conducted B-29 Superfortress group bombardment training until the end of World War II, when the training program at Deming wound down and was inactivated 18 December 1945. Airfield was closed on 31 January 1946. Eventually discharged to the War Assets Administration (WAA) and sold.
Past Airline Service
The original Frontier Airlines (1950-1986) served the Deming airport in the early 1950s with DC-3's on a route from El Paso to Phoenix which included stops at Las Cruces, Deming, and Lordsburg, NM as well as Clifton, Safford, and Tucson, AZ. The airline service ended in 1953.
- Shaw, Frederick J. (2004), Locating Air Force Base Sites History’s Legacy, Air Force History and Museums Program, United States Air Force, Washington DC, 2004.
- Manning, Thomas A. (2005), History of Air Education and Training Command, 1942–2002. Office of History and Research, Headquarters, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas ASIN: B000NYX3PC
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deming Army Airfield.|
- Deming Municipal Airport at City of Deming website
- Aerial photo as of 21 September 1996 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for DMN, effective July 21, 2016
- Resources for this airport: