|Awarded for||Recognizing businesses worldwide for excellence in applying the principles of Total Quality Management|
|Sponsored by||Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers (JUSE)|
The Deming Prize is the longest-running and one of the highest awards on TQM (Total Quality Management) in the world. It recognizes both individuals for their contributions to the field of Total Quality Management (TQM) and businesses that have successfully implemented TQM. It was established in 1951 to honor W. Edwards Deming who contributed greatly to Japan’s proliferation of statistical quality control after World War II. His teachings helped Japan build its foundation by which the level of Japan’s product quality has been recognized as the highest in the world, was originally designed to reward Japanese companies for major advances in quality improvement. Over the years it has grown, under the guidance of the Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers (JUSE) to where it is now also available to non-Japanese companies, albeit usually operating in Japan, and also to individuals recognized as having made major contributions to the advancement of quality. The awards ceremony is broadcast every year in Japan on national television.
Two categories of awards are made annually, the Deming Prize for Individuals and the Deming Prize.
Winners of individual award
- 1951: Motosaburo Masuyama
- 1952: Tetsuichi Asaka, Kaoru Ishikawa, Masao Kogure, Masao Goto, Hidehiko Higashi, Shin Miura, Shigeru Mizuno, Eizo Watanabe
- 1953: Toshio Kitagawa
- 1954: Eizaburo Nishibori
- 1988: Renichi Takenaka
Winners of application prize
- Fuji Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. (now part of Nippon Steel)
- Showa Denko K.K.
- Tanabe Seiyaku Co., Ltd.
- Yawata Iron & Steel Co., Ltd (now part of Nippon Steel)
- Denso Japan
- Pentel Co., Ltd. "(a first for the stationery industry)".
- Takenaka Corporation "(a first for non-manufacturer industry)".
- JUKI Corporation (Tokyo Juki Industrial Co., Ltd., Industrial Sewing Machine Division)
- Florida Power & Light (first non-Japanese winner of award)
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (the world's first tractor company to win)
- Rane Brake Lining Ltd.
- Sona Koyo Steering Systems Ltd.
- Rane Engine Valve Ltd
- Rane TRW Steering Systems Ltd.(SGD)
- Krishna Maruti Ltd., Seat Division
- Rane (Madras) Ltd.
- AIS Auto Glass
- Tata Steel, the first integrated steel plant in Asia to win Deming award
- National Engineering Industries Ltd, part of the 150-year-old, Indian multi-billion CK Birla Group. NEI is the second bearing company in the world after NTN Corporation, Japan to win this coveted award. Mr Rohit Saboo ( President & CEO ) received the award in a glittering ceremony in Osaka, Japan.
- Sanden Vikas (India) Limited, (India)
- SRF Limited, Chemicals Business (India); Mr. Roop Salotra, President and CEO
- Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, Farm Equipment Sector, Swaraj Division (India); Mr. Bishwambhar Mishra, Chief Executive
- RSB Transmissions(I) Limited, Auto Division (Jamshedpur(Unit 1), Pune & Pant Nagar Plant) (India)
- Ashok Leyland, Pantnagar plant - World's first commercial vehicle to get the Deming Prize (Outside Japan)
- Ashok Leyland Limited, Hosur Unit II, India
- CEAT Limited, India [first tire company in the world (Outside Japan) to get Deming award]
- PT Komatsu Indonesia [First Company in Indonesia, to get the Deming Prize; Mr. Pratjojo Dewo, President Director]
- Sundram Fasteners Limited, India [SFL got the Deming Prize for all its 17 plants located across India; Arathi Krishna, Managing Director, is the first woman to receive this award]
- Jsw Steel Ltd, India [President, Mr. Rajashekhar Pattanasetty]
- Indus Towers, India [CEO: Bimal Dayal]
- ELGi Equipments Ltd, Coimbatore, was the first industrial air compressor manufacturer outside of Japan to win this award.
- European Quality Award
- List of national quality awards
- Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
- Total Quality Management
- Evans, James R; Lindsay, William M (1993), "5: Total Quality Management", The Management and Control of Quality (4 ed.), Minneapolis, Minnesota: West Publishing, p. 112, ISBN 9780314008640, OCLC 25873758
- "List of Deming Prize Recipients, with accordance to individuals, only" (PDF). www.juse.or.jp. 1 January 2015.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-06-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Sundaram Clayton bags Deming prize". Business Standard India. Business Standard. 23 October 1998. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "TVS Motor Bags Deming Award For Quality Mgmt". Financial Express. 3 November 2002. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Birla Carbon Deming Award For Quality Mgmt". Birla Carbon Deming Awards. 3 November 2002. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Hindu Business Line
- "Original List of the Deming Prize Winners'" (PDF). www.juse.or.jp. 3 January 2018.
- "Lucas TVS wins Deming award". The Financial Express. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Deming award for Lucas-TVS". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2012-10-12. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-11-28.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Lucas-TVS bags prestigious Deming Grand Prize". www.autocarpro.in. 15 October 2015. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "SRF tyre cord business bags Deming Prize". Business Standard India. 8 October 2004.
- Suzuki, Yutaka (October 2014). "GC America Achieves Prestigious Deming Prize Award" (PDF). GC America.
- "GC America Receives Prestigious Deming Prize". LMTmag. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Deming Prize Winner – ISQ". www.isqnet.org. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Awards - Yaskawa". www.yaskawa.com. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Yaskawa wins, the Deming Prize" (PDF). www.controlglobal.com. 15 July 2012.
- "Yaskawa Electric Brasil achieves ISO and OHSAS certification". Automation.com. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- indiainfoline.com. "Mahindra Powerol wins Deming Prize for 2014". Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Mahindra Powerol Wins Deming Prize for 2014 -". infrabuddy.com. 2014-11-20. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Deming Prize". www.juse.or.jp. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Komatsu Indonesia, Wins the Deming Prize" (PDF). Komatsu Indonesia. 24 March 2014.
- "Komatsu Indonesia Ki As The First Indonesian Company That Got The Deming Prize | News - Komatsu". www.komi.co.id. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Komatsu subsidiary wins Deming Prize | ConstructionWeekOnline.com". www.constructionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Sundram Fasteners Wins Deming Prize For 17 Plants At One Shot - Auto Parts Asia". Auto Parts Asia. 2018-10-11. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Sundram Fasteners Ltd bags Deming Prize". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "SFL sees Deming as a winning strategy". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2018-11-14. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-11-28.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Gaur, Vatsala (2018-10-03). "JSW Steel wins Deming Prize for its Vijayanagar steel plant". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "JSW - JSW Steel Vijayanagar Manufacturing Unit Wins Deming Prize". www.jsw.in. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "JSW Steel's Vijayanagar unit awarded the Deming Prize". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Deming Prize". www.juse.or.jp. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Indus Towers Wins Deming Prize for 2018". Business Standard India. Press Trust of India. 2018-10-09. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "ELGi gets Deming Prize". Times of India. November 10, 2019.