|Awarded for||Recognizing businesses worldwide for excellence in applying the principles of Total Quality Management|
|Sponsor||Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers (JUSE)|
The Deming Prize is a global quality award that recognizes both individuals for their contributions to the field of Total Quality Management (TQM) and businesses that have successfully implemented TQM. It is the oldest and most widely recognized quality award in the world. It was established in 1951 to honor W. Edwards Deming who contributed greatly to Japan’s proliferation of statistical quality control after World War II. His teachings helped Japan build its foundation by which the level of Japan’s product quality has been recognized as the highest in the world, was originally designed to reward Japanese companies for major advances in quality improvement. Over the years it has grown, under the guidance of Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers (JUSE) to where it is now also available to non-Japanese companies, albeit usually operating in Japan, and also to individuals recognized as having made major contributions to the advancement of quality. The awards ceremony is broadcast every year in Japan on national television.
Two categories of awards are made annually, the Deming Prize for Individuals and the Deming Application Prize.
Winners of individual award
- 1951: Motosaburo Masuyama 
- 1952: Tetsuichi Asaka, Kaoru Ishikawa, Masao Kogure, Masao Goto, Hidehiko Higashi, Shin Miura, Shigeru Mizuno, Eizo Watanabe
- 1953: Toshio Kitagawa
- 1954: Eizaburo Nishibori
Winners of application prize
- ... 1952 to Present
- Florida Power & Light (first non-Japanese winner of award)
- Sundram Clayton brakes division
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., the world's first tractor company to win.
- Rane Brake Lining Ltd.
- Sona Koyo Steering Systems Ltd.
- Rane Engine Valve Ltd
- Rane TRW Steering Systems Ltd.(SGD)
- Krishna Maruti Ltd., Seat Division
- Sanden International (Singapore) Pte Ltd (SIS), the first Singapore-based company to win.
- Tata Steel, the first integrated steel plant in Asia to win Deming award in 2008
- National Engineering Industries Ltd, part of the 150-year-old, multi-billion CK Birla Group. NEI is the second bearing company in the world after NTN Corporation, Japan to win this coveted award. Mr Rohit Saboo ( President & CEO ) received the award in a glittering ceremony in Osaka, Japan.
- Sanden Vikas (India) Limited, (India)
- SRF Limited, Chemicals Business (India)
Mr. Roop Salotra, President and CEO
- Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, Farm Equipment Sector, Swaraj Division (India)
Mr. Bishwambhar Mishra, Chief Executive
- RSB Transmissions(I) Limited, Auto Division (Jamshedpur(Unit 1), Pune & Pant Nagar Plant) (India)
- European Quality Award
- List of national quality awards
- Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
- Total Quality Management
- Evans, James R; Lindsay, William M (1993), "5: Total Quality Management", The Management and Control of Quality (4 ed.), Minneapolis, Minnesota: West Publishing, p. 112, ISBN 9780314008640, OCLC 25873758
- "THE DEMING PRIZE WINNERS. DEMING PRIZE FOR INDIVIDUALS url=http://www.juse.or.jp/upload/files/Deming_prize_EN/list/LIST_Deming_Prize_for_Individuals.pdf".
- "Sundaram Clayton bags Deming prize". Business Standard. 23 October 1998. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "TVS Motor Bags Deming Award For Quality Mgmt". Financial Express. 3 November 2002. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Hindu Business Line