Democratic Movement (Italy)
At the 2009 leadership election Dario Franceschini was defeated by Pier Luigi Bersani. Those who supported the former's bid joined forces in Democratic Area, a broad minority faction which comprised several groups: Veltroniani, Fassiniani, Fourth Phase, Liberal PD, Democratic Ecologists, Simply Democrats, etc.
By September 2010, both Franceschini and Piero Fassino had re-approached with Bersani, a move which was not approved by Walter Veltroni and Giuseppe Fioroni, who chose to form a "movement" in order to defend the "original spirit" of the PD. In doing this they were supported by 75 deputies: 33 Veltroniani, 35 Populars close to Fioroni and 7 former Rutelliani led by Paolo Gentiloni. The new faction was named Democratic Movement.
- President: Gero Grassi (2011–...)
- "Un documento e (forse) un movimento Veltroni dà la scossa ai democratici". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Pagina non trovata - l'Unità - notizie online lavoro, recensioni, cinema, musica". Unita.it. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Veltroni e Bersani sul ring «Pd senza bussola». «Sbagli tutto»". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Il Pd si conta sul testo Veltroni Firmano in 75, minoranza divisa". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Camera dei Deputati". Rassegna.camera.it. Retrieved 2014-07-17.