Democratic Party of Albanians
|Democratic Party of Albanians|
|International affiliation||International Democrat Union (observer)|
|Colours||Red, Black (Colours of the Albanian flag)|
8 / 123
2 / 81
|Politics of the Republic of Macedonia
The Democratic Party of Albanians (Albanian: Partia Demokratike Shqiptare; Macedonian: Демократска партија на Албанците, Demokratska Partija na Albancite) or DPA is a political party of the ethnic Albanians in the Republic of Macedonia. The DPA is a merger of the Party for Democratic Prosperity of Albanians (PDPA) and the People's Democratic Party (NDP) which took place in June 1997. The former party was established in 1994 after some radical members of the Party for Democratic Prosperity, led by Menduh Thaçi (Macedonian: Мендух Тачи) and Arbën Xhaferi (Macedonian: Арбен Џафери), left the PDP and the latter party was founded in August 1990 as a more radical opponent of the PDP.
At the 2002 legislative elections, the party won 5.2% of the popular vote and 7 out of 120 seats. The party lost its status as a government party due to the defeat of the VMRO-DPMNE. At the 2006 parliamentary elections, the party increased its support, winning 7.5% of the vote and 11 seats. After the elections the DPA entered the government coalition led by the VMRO-DPMNE. DPA returned to opposition after the 2008 legislative early election.
- OHRIDON - Menduh Thaçi: Only a dead Macedonian, is a good Macedonian! (Macedonian)
- MKD.MK - Menduh Thaçi: Bamir Topi is our president, and his home is Tetovo. (Macedonian)
- MKD.MK - MP Fazliu: Either they get rid of us, or we of them! (Macedonian)
- "Conservative Leader Claims 3rd Term In Macedonia". NPR. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Official web site (Albanian) (English)
|This article about a Macedonian political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|