Demos Helsinki is a Nordic non-profit research and development organisation, an independent think tank. Demos Helsinki does futures studies, creates strategies and conducts open innovation with companies, cities, governments and communities. The think tank employs partners in Sweden and Finland and an international network of experts, academics, entrepreneurs and civic groups. Demos Helsinki has offices in Finland and Sweden
Believing in human driven, open organisations and the civil society, Demos Helsinki remains autonomous by acquiring its own project funding. This independence sets it apart from many other think tanks in the Nordic area that operate on subsidies and grants.
Demos Helsinki guides businesses and other organisations to a better future by linking emerging human motivations to ongoing structural change. It is known for its ability to co-create scalable concepts and to convene organisations previously unknown to each other. Demos Helsinki has published widely on the future of society, culture and economics. They have also been awarded prizes on for example innovative resource smart business models, urban and metropolitan visions, public awareness campaigns, as well as new concepts for public spaces and innovative public services.
The work of Demos Helsinki is regularly featured in international media through publications like The Guardian, Monocle, The Economist, The Atlantic, Süddeutsche Zeitung and in books, such as The Collaboration Economy: How to Meet Business, Social, and Environmental Needs and Gain Competitive Advantage by Eric Lowitt.
Demos Helsinki started its operations in 2005 by conducting a research for Sitra, The Finnish Innovation Fund, on the future of public services and the changes in sources of wellbeing. Results of the research were published in 2006, under the title Yksilön ääni – Hyvinvointivaltio yhteisöjen ajalla (only available in Finnish). In 2007 Demos Helsinki kicked off Ilmastotalkoot, the biggest privately funded climate change campaign in Europe. In 2010 Demos Helsinki wrote the final report for Finland's country brand. During 2011–2012 Demos Helsinki was part of a European Commission consortium that created a roadmap for strategic action AND created four alternative scenarios for future lifestyles. In 2014 Demos Helsinki opened a Nordic management consultancy, Demos Effect, that offers strategy and innovation services to companies globally.
Demos Helsinki's work has received awards in various fields. In 2007, Demos Helsinki came second in the international Greater Helsinki Vision 2050 –idea competition  and in 2012 HOAS-laboratory was granted an innovation award from Tekes and Asuntomarkkinat. The World Design Capital 2012 Pavilion, that Demos Helsinki created the concept for, won the annual Rakentamisen ruusu –architectural award granted by the construction board of the City of Helsinki. In 2013 in Davos, World Resource Forum awarded a presentation from Demos Helsinki as the best presentation in the Sustainable Business and Industry -category. The same year team with Demos Helsinki members was awarded third prize in Apps4Finland Open data innovation contest in the Decipher category.
Contacts to other Demos think tanks
Demos Helsinki is not affiliated with Demos UK, nor Demos in New York or Demos Hungary. Demos Helsinki has, however, previously collaborated with Demos UK.
- Soila, Amanda. "Think tanks see an even better Finland". Retrieved 4.12.2013. Check date values in:
- Mokka, Roope. "Out of the tank". window874. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Helsinki, Demos. "Demos Helsinki Employees". Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Lowitt, Eric. "Inside Finland's innovation camp for sustainable consumer behaviour change". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Morris, Tom. "Branding Finland". Monocolumn. Monocle. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Cultural revolution One of the world’s blandest regions has become one of its most creative". The Economist. The Economist. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- O'Sullivan, Feargus. "Work From Home, Just Not Alone and Not in Your Home". City Lab. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Lowitt, Eric (2013). The Collaboration Economy: How to Meet Business, Social, and Environmental Needs and Gain Competitive Advantage. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 1118573366. ISBN 9781118573365.
- Voima-lehti Uljaat yksilöt & yhteisöt 10/2006
- HS.fi Vastuuntuntoiset brändit kehittävät yhteiskuntaa 26.1.2008
- K, M. "Finland is building its brand around functionality, nature and education". Good New from Finland. Finnfacts. Archived from the original on 2014-02-01.
- Mission for Finland, Report can be downloaded from.. "How Finland will solve the world’s most wicked problems CONSIDER IT SOLVED!". Country Brand Report. Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Spread. "Partners: SPREAD Sustainable Lifestyles 2050". Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Demos Helsinki. "Demos Helsinki launches Demos Effect". Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- HS.fi Toiseksi tullut ryhmä antaisi asukkaille lisää päätösvaltaa 15.7.2007
- Tekes.fi Asuntomarkkinoiden innovaatiopalkinto Hoas-laboratoriolle
- Helsinki palkitsi kaksi kohdetta Rakentamisen Ruusulla 28.1.2013
- Peloton laboratorio palkittiin World Resources Forumissa 7.10.2013
- Palkitut työt 4.12.2013