Logo of Dempo
|Founder||Vasantrao S. Dempo|
- For the football club promoted by this company, see Dempo S.C.
Dempo Mining Corporation Limited is a prominent mining company from the western Indian state of Goa. The mineral business was founded by Mr. Vasantrao S. Dempo in 1941 along with his younger brother Mr. Vaikuntrao Dempo. Mr. Vasantrao S. Dempo was the Founder Chairman of the company, who was succeeded by his son Mr. Vasudeva V. Dempo. Currently Shrinivas V. Dempo, son of Mr. Vasudeva V. Dempo is the chairman of Dempo Group. Dempo Sports Club is linked to Dempo mining company. Dempo company has interests in many fields and the umbrella company is known as V.S. Dempo & Co. In June 2011, Vedanta Limited acquired Dempo Group's mining assets for ₹17.5 billion (US$250 million).
Holding of Dempo House
Dempo recently has divested its mining assets and has entered many businesses The following are the companies which are fully or partially owned by the House of Dempo:
- This Dempo Group company, established in 1988 as a joint venture with Glaxo, manufactures cereal-based food products including baby foods. Hindustan Foods manufactures high quality cereal- based food products for all age groups. The range encompasses baby foods, instant porridge, breakfast cereals and health drinks. The Vanity Case Group, led by Mr. Sameer Kothari, acquired a majority stake in 2013. The company is responsible for manufacturing about a third of Hindustan Unilever’s beverage business, like Bru coffee and Lipton tea. It also works with companies like Danone and US Polo.
- Sensing the tourism potential of Goa, the Dempo Travel Agency was established in 1960 as a travel division of the flagship V.S.Dempo & Company Pvt. Ltd, and has been one of the mainstays of Goan tourism industry. In 2000-01, a new company, Dempo Travels Pvt Ltd., was formed to handle this business independently.
Dempo Industries Newspaper Publishing
- The two main divisions under this company are the newspaper publishing division under the aegis of Navhind Papers and Publications and the Energy division. Apart from writers of national repute, it features the most respected writers of Goa. To cater to the needs of the Marathi speaking population "Navprabha" was launched in 1970. It is the most respected marathi newspaper in Goa, popular for its hard hitting editorials and attractive supplements and special issues.
Dempo Ship Building
- There exist two group companies in this business, Dempo Shipbuilding and Engineering Pvt. Ltd. and Dempo Shipyard Pvt. Ltd. Another facility, on the banks of river Zuari, in the name of Dempo Shipyard Pvt Ltd has been added in recent years, to take advantage of the growing business in this industry. This company has already built a number of barges and has several orders in hand. The higher draft of the Zuari River allows bigger barges to be constructed in this facility.
- Manufacturer and marketer of Calcined Petroleum Coke, this Dempo Group company is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange. Goa Carbon is the second largest manufacturer of Calcined Petroleum Coke in the country. Calcined Petroleum coke is a pure form of carbon and is used for making anodes for Aluminium smelting. It is also used as a source of carbon in the steel industry. Other specialty consumer segments include titanium dioxide and other chemicals. Goa Carbon was established in 1976. It has manufacturing facilities in Goa, Paradeep and Bilaspur. Total capacity is 240,000 MT per annum.
Aparant Iron and Steel
- This Dempo group company manufactures pig iron. Plans to add further value to the product are on the anvil. Based on Tata Korf technology, this mini blast furnace based plant has a capacity of 160,000 TPA.