Aerial view of Den Burg
The town centre (dark green) and the statistical district (light green) of Den Burg in the municipality of Texel.
Located in the middle of the island, Den Burg is the largest city of Texel. It features a historic centre and also the town hall. Outdoor markets are held each week in the main square. Nevertheless, Den Burg is the island's least touristic settlement.
In 2001, Den Burg had 6,160 inhabitants. The built-up area of the town covers 1.47 km² and contains 2,645 residences. The slightly larger statistical district "Den Burg" has a population of around 6,380. The village plays host to the Royal Netherlands Institute of Sea Research.
- Willem Eduard Bok (1846–1904), State Secretary of the South African Republic (Transvaal) 1880-1889.
- Hans Kamp (born 1940), philosopher, creator of discourse representation theory (DRT).
- Henk Zijm (born 1952), mathematician, professor and Rector Magnificus (2005–2008) at the University of Twente.
- Dorian van Rijsselberghe (born 1988), windsurfer, winner of gold medal in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Bevolkingskernen in Nederland 2001 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-03-19. Retrieved 2007-01-24. . Statistics are for the continuous built-up area.
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Gemeente Op Maat 2004: Texel [permanent dead link].
Media related to Den Burg at Wikimedia Commons
|This North Holland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|