Denali Borough, Alaska
|Denali Borough, Alaska|
Location in the state of Alaska
Alaska's location in the U.S.
|Incorporated||December 7, 1990|
|• Total||12,775 sq mi (33,087 km2)|
|• Land||12,750 sq mi (33,022 km2)|
|• Water||25 sq mi (65 km2), 0.19%|
|Time zone||Alaska: UTC-9/-8|
The Denali Borough is a borough located in the U.S. state of Alaska and was incorporated in 1990. The area was previously a part of the unorganized borough, with the Upper Railbelt School District serving as the region's rural education attendance area (which was replaced by a school district under the borough's umbrella upon incorporation). As of 2010 the population of the borough was 1,826. The borough seat is Healy. The only incorporated place is Anderson.
The borough has a total area of 12,775 square miles (33,087.1 km2), of which 12,750 square miles (33,022.3 km2) is land and 25 square miles (64.7 km2) (0.19%) is water.
National protected area
Adjacent boroughs and census areas
- Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska - west/north
- Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska - northeast
- Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, Alaska - east
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska - south
||Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area||Fairbanks North Star Borough|
|Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area||Southeast Fairbanks Census Area|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,893 people, 785 households, and 452 families residing in the borough. The population density was 0.148 people per square mile (0.057/km²). There were 1,351 housing units at an average density of 0.106 per square mile (0.041/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 85.74% White, 1.43% Black or African American, 4.75% Native American, 1.53% Asian, 0.37% Pacific Islander, 0.95% from other races, and 5.23% from two or more races. 2.48% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 785 households out of which 31.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.40% were married couples living together, 4.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.30% were non-families. 35.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the borough the population was spread out with 23.80% under the age of 18, 6.70% from 18 to 24, 36.80% from 25 to 44, 29.70% from 45 to 64, and 3.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 139.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 147.10 males.
Denali Borough is the 63rd highest-income county in the United States, by personal per capita income as of 2009.
- Unincorporated communities
Denali Borough in fiction
- List of airports in the Denali Borough
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Denali Borough, Alaska
- 1996 Alaska Municipal Officials Directory. Juneau: Alaska Municipal League/Alaska Department of Community and Regional Affairs. January 1996. p. 4.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Per capita personal income, 2009
- Denali Borough Resolution No. 12-32
Media related to Denali Borough, Alaska at Wikimedia Commons