Adel playing for Louisville
|No. 12 – Canton Charge|
|League||NBA G League|
|Born||1 February 1997|
Juba, Sudan (now South Sudan)
|Nationality||South Sudanese / Australian|
|Listed height||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Listed weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school||Victory Rock Prep|
|NBA draft||2018 / Undrafted|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Deng Adel (born 1 February 1997) is a South Sudanese-Australian professional basketball player for the Cleveland Cavaliers of the National Basketball Association (NBA), on a two-way contract with the Canton Charge of the NBA G League. He played college basketball for the Louisville Cardinals.
Adel was born in Juba under what is now South Sudan. As a youth, he, his mother and five siblings fled war-torn Sudan and moved to Uganda to set up a move to Australia when Deng was 8 years of age. He settled in Melbourne in 2004 and lived in the suburbs of Fitzroy and Sunshine. Basketball only came into Adel's life when his friends introduced him to it as a 14-year-old. From there, he began playing locally for the Sunshine Longhorns, and in 2012, he joined the Waverley Falcons' Big V team. Growing up, Adel also played soccer and ran track.
Adel attended high school at both Keilor Downs College and Xavier College. In August 2013, he moved to the United States after landing a rare $20,000 basketball scholarship to Victory Rock Prep in Bradenton, Florida.
High school career
As a junior at Victory Rock Prep in 2013–14, Adel averaged 22 points and eight rebounds per game in helping the Blue Devils to a 24–8 record.
In November 2014, Adel signed a National Letter of Intent to play college basketball for the University of Louisville. Adel considered offers from Connecticut, Florida, Mississippi and Virginia Tech before choosing to sign with the Cardinals.
As a senior at Victory Rock Prep in 2014–15, Adel averaged 19.1 points, 8.2 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game in helping the Blue Devils to a 27–9 record. He subsequently earned all-state selection by the Florida Association of Basketball Coaches (FABC).
In May 2015, Adel enrolled in classes and moved to the University of Louisville for the first session of summer school. He later joined the Louisville Cardinals for the 2015–16 season, and was made a starter for the team to begin his freshman campaign. He started for the Cardinals in the first two games of the season, averaging 4.5 points in 17 minutes while helping the team win both games. However, on 20 November, the day before the team's third game, Adel landed awkwardly in practice and was subsequently ruled out for three to six weeks with an MCL sprain in his left knee. He returned to full practice on 21 December, and made his return to the court the following night against UMKC. On 30 January 2016, he recorded season highs in points (12), rebounds (five) and minutes played (21) against Virginia. On 6 February, he had a season-best game with 13 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals in 34 minutes as a starter in a 79–47 win over Boston College.
As a junior, Adel led Louisville in scoring with 15.0 points per game and also pulled down 5.2 rebounds per game. After completing his junior year at Louisville, Adel announced him intentions on enter the 2018 NBA draft. Originally, he entered the draft without hiring an agent, but after a few weeks, he hired an agent of his own accord, thus removing any chance of him returning to Louisville for his senior year at the university.
Raptors 905 (2018–2019)
After going undrafted in the 2018 NBA draft, Adel signed with the Houston Rockets for the NBA Summer League. On 14 September 2018, Adel signed with the Toronto Raptors on a training camp contract. After appearing in two preseason games, Adel was waived on 12 October.
After being waived by Toronto, Adel spent the 2018-19 season playing for Toronto's G-League affiliate, Raptors 905. Through mid-December, he averaged 12.0 points and 5.4 rebounds in 31.3 minutes per game.
Cleveland Cavaliers/Canton Charge (2019–present)
On January 15, 2019, Adel signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a two-way contract. Adel made his NBA debut on January 19, 2019 against the Denver Nuggets, scoring three points with two rebounds in five minutes of play in a 124-102 loss.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Ward, Roy (4 March 2015). "Rising star Deng Adel chases NBA dream with Louisville Cardinals college team". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Player statistics for Deng Adel". FoxSportsPulse.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Deng Adel - 2015-16 Men's Basketball". GoCards.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Keilor Downs College Ex-Student, Reaching The Heights". kdc.vic.edu.au. 5 May 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Lucas, Brendan (23 August 2013). "Melbourne teenager Deng Adel lands US basketball scholarship". Herald Sun. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Cards' Basketball Signing Class Among Nation's Best". GoCards.com. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Greer, Jeff (11 May 2015). "Deng Adel enrolls at U of L, starts workouts". Courier-Journal.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Greer, Jeff (21 November 2015). "Louisville's Deng Adel has sprained MCL". Courier-Journal.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Greer, Jeff (19 December 2015). "Deng Adel nears return from knee injury". Courier-Journal.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Greer, Jeff (21 December 2015). "Louisville's Deng Adel returns to practice". Courier-Journal.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "No. 16 Louisville pulls away from Missouri-Kansas City 75-47". ESPN.com. 22 December 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Jones, Steve (30 January 2016). "Adel's play a silver lining in U of L's loss". Courier-Journal.com. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47". ESPN.com. 6 February 2016. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Moore, Annie (9 April 2018). "Deng Adel to hire agent, stay in NBA Draft". NBC12. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- Sayers, Justin (23 June 2018). "Louisville's Deng Adel joins Houston Rockets for NBA Summer League". Louisville Courier Journal. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Raptors Sign Adel and Collinsworth". NBA.com. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Raptors Waive Four". NBA.com. 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "Cavs Sign Deng Adel to Two-Way Contract". NBA.com. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- Fedor, Chris (20 January 2019). "Cleveland Cavaliers cap brutal road trip with 124-102 loss against Denver Nuggets: Chris Fedor's instant analysis". Cleveland.com. Advance Digital Ohio. Retrieved 24 January 2019.