Dengie nature reserve
|Site of Special Scientific Interest|
|Area of Search||Essex|
|Location map||Magic Map|
|Designated||24 March 1994|
Dengie nature reserve is a 3,105 hectare biological and geological Site of Special Scientific Interest between the estuaries of the Blackwater and Crouch near Bradwell-on-Sea in Essex. It is also a National Nature Reserve, a Special Protection Area, a Nature Conservation Review site, a Geological Conservation Review site and a Ramsar site. It is part of the Essex estuaries Special Area of Conservation. An area of 12 hectares is the Bradwell Shell Bank nature reserve, which is managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust.
It is a wetland of international importance and provides habitats for:
- Bar-tailed godwit (Limosa lapponica)
- Hen harrier (Circus cyaneus)
- Grey plover (Pluvialis squatarola)
- knot (Calidris canutus)
- Black-tailed godwit (Limosa limosa islandica)
- Dunlin (Calidris alpina alpina)
- Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
- Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)
- Dark-bellied brent goose (Branta bernicla bernicla)
- Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo)
- Great crested grebe (Podiceps cristatus)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dengie nature reserve.|
- "Dengie". Ramsar Sites Information Service. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Dengie citation" (PDF). Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Map of Dengie". Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Essex's National Nature Reserves". Natural England. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Dengie (Mid-Essex Coast Phase 1)". Joint Nature Conservation Committee. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Dengie (Coastal Geomorphology of England)". Joint Nature Conservation Committee. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Designated and Proposed Ramsar sites in the UK and Overseas Territories & Crown Dependencies". Joint Nature Conservation Committee. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Essex Estuaries". Joint Nature Conservation Committee. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Bradwell Shell Bank Nature Reserve". Essex Wildlife Trust. Retrieved 26 February 2016.