Denis Browne (bishop)
Denis George Browne CNZM DD (born 21 September 1937) is the Emeritus Bishop of Hamilton, New Zealand. He was Ordinary of the Catholic Diocese of Hamilton from 1994 to 2014. Previously, he was Bishop of Cook Islands and Niue (1977-1983) and then became the tenth Catholic Bishop of Auckland (1983-1994).
Born in Auckland, he was the son of Neville John and Catherine Anne Browne. Browne received his primary education at St. Michael's Primary school, Remuera, and his secondary education at St. Peter's College, Epsom, conducted by the Christian Brothers. He then went on to study at Holy Name Seminary, Christchurch (operated by the Jesuit order) and Holy Cross College, Mosgiel (operated by the Vincentian order).
Denis Browne was ordained a Catholic priest on 30 June 1962 by James Liston, Archbishop of Auckland, at St Patrick's Cathedral, Auckland. After ordination, he was assigned to parish work in Gisborne where he served from 1963 until 1968. He was at Papatoetoe 1968-1971 and at Remuera 1972- 1975. He served in Tonga (Nukualofa, Houma,`Eva) in the period 1975-1977. On 29 June 1977 he was consecrated a bishop in St. Patrick's Cathedral, Auckland. He served as Bishop of the Cook Islands and Niue until 1983. He became the tenth Bishop of Auckland on 24 August 1983 and served in that post until 1994 when he was translated to Hamilton as its second Bishop. He was President, New Zealand Catholic Bishops Conference and a member of the Executive Committee of the Federation of Catholic Bishops Conferences of Oceania.
Brown's resignation from the see was accepted by Pope Francis on 22 November 2014 and his successor Stephen Lowe was appointed as the 3rd Bishop of Hamilton on the same date. Browne was the principal consecrator at Stephen Lowe's episcopal consecration in the Hamilton Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 13 February 2015.
- Bishop Denis George Browne, Catholic Hierarchy website (retrieved 12 February 2011)
- Hamilton Catholic Diocese
- Dennis Browne, NZ Catholic Church website
- Browne, Most Reverend Denis George, New Zealand Who's Who Aotearoa 2001, p. 177
- Michael Field, "New Bishop of Hamilton named", Stuff News (Retrieved 27 November 2014)
- "Pope Francis Appoints New Bishop of Hamilton", NZ Catholic (Retrieved 27 November 2014)
- "Bishop Denis George Browne", Catholic Hierarchy (Retrieved 27 November 2014)
- "Bishop Stephen Marmion Lowe", Catholic Hierarchy (Retrieved 27 November 2014)
- "New Bishop Announced for the Diocese of Hamilton" Archived 6 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine, Catholic Diocese of Hamilton, 24 November 2014 (Retrieved 27 November 2014)[dead link]
- Kerr, Florence (14 February 2015). "City's new Bishop welcomed". Waikato Times. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
|Catholic Church titles|
John Hubert Macey Rodgers, SM
| 3rd Bishop of Rarotonga
1977 - 1983
Robin Walsh Leamy, SM
| 10th Bishop of Auckland
Edward Russell Gaines
| 2nd Bishop of Hamilton