This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Denis G. Delestrac
August 14, 1968
Denis Delestrac (born in France, 1968) is an award-winning film director. He is best known for creating feature documentaries on highly topical subjects, which have provoked public debate and gained large recognition internationally.
Denis Delestrac made his debut in non-fiction filmmaking in 2001 and signed a dozen documentaries. Among his credits are IMAX blockbuster "Mystery of the Nile" and the award-winning "Pax Americana and the Weaponization of Space". Selected in major international film festivals, the film reveals how space has become the newest arena for countries around the globe to launch their struggle for supremacy.
His feature documentary, “Sand Wars” is an epic eco-thriller that takes the audience around the globe to unveil a new gold rush and a disturbing fact: we are running out of sand. The film premiered at the legendary Cinéma Publicis on the Champs-Elysées in 2013 and was first broadcast in May in France and Germany (ARTE), where it became the highest rated documentary for 2013 with a 4.8 market share. “Sand Wars” has been selected in over 40 festivals and won 13 awards including a Gold Panda, the Greenpeace Prize and a Gemini Award, placing Delestrac as one of Europe’s most bankable non-fiction directors.
In “Banking Nature”, he looks at the growing movement to monetize the natural world, and to turn endangered species and threatened areas into instruments of profit. In the recent “Freightened”, Delestrac reveals the mechanics and perils of freight shipment; an all-but-visible industry that holds the key to our economy, our environment and the very model of our civilisation.
Denis Delestrac is a graduate from the Toulouse Law School and he obtained a Master in Journalism at the University of Dallas. He made his first steps in journalism in the United States, as a photojournalist - and later as a writer - covering the South Central LA riots (1992), the Waco siege (1993) and the 1992 presidential elections. In the last two decades, Delestrac has published in several North American and European publications like Le Monde. He's written books on architecture (with Pritzker Prize laureate Alvaro Siza) and geopolitics with longtime friend, MIT linguistics professor Noam Chomsky.
|Freightened||2016||An audacious investigation which reveals the mechanics and perils of freight shipment; an all-but-visible industry that holds the key to our economy, our environment and the very model of our civilisation.||Director, writer|
|Banking Nature||2014||A provocative documentary that looks at the growing movement to monetize the natural world, and to turn endangered species and threatened areas into instruments of profit.||Director, writer with Sandrine Feydel|
|Sand Wars||2013||The world is running out of sand. Sand Wars is a riveting docu-thriller about the most consumed natural resource on the planet.||Director, writer and associate producer|
|Pax Americana||2010||Pax Americana examines the origins and today's reality of the militarization of space.||Director, writer and associate producer|
|Mystery of the Nile||2005||IMAX film documenting the first successful expedition to navigate the entire length of the Blue Nile and Nile from its source in Ethiopia to the Mediterranean.||Assistant director|
|Adventure of the Nile||2005||An adventure documentary with the first expedition to have succeeded in descending Africa's greatest river.||Assistant director|
|The Nomad Experience||2006||A reflection about spirituality and human values through an innovative narrative.||Assistant director|
|Human Rights||2003||How armed conflicts affect civilian communities and forces displacement, with Amnesty International Secretary General Irene Khan.||Scriptwriter|
|The Face of the Human Condition||2003||A portrait of legendary National Geographic Magazine photographer Steve McCurry.||Scriptwriter|
|Recovering the Past||2003||Archaeological and cultural heritage conservation in Africa's poorest country: Sudan. With father of modern archaeology Charles Bonnet.||Scriptwriter|
|The Nomad Spirit||2003||How market economy has transformed the Mongolian society schemes.||Scriptwriter|
|The Mission to Educate||2003||The educative, healthcare and economic challenges faced by the Tuareg and Wodaabe tribes of the Ténéré Desert.||Scriptwriter|
For "Sand Wars"
- Best film - Inspiration Category - EKO Film 2013
- Gold Panda for Best Nature & Environment Protection Award - Sishuan TV Festival 2013
- Golden Sun - Barcelona Environmental Film Festival 2013
- Japan Prize NHK 2013 - 2nd Prize
- Greenpeace Prize - Festival du Film Vert 2014
- Best film - San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival 2014
- Finalist - Monte Carlo 33rd International URTI Grand Prix for Author’s Documentary
- Rockie Award - Banff World Media Festival 2014
- Prix Gémeaux 2014
- Winner - Wild and Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Best Film - Green Me Film Festival 2015
- Winner: "Impact Prize" - FIGRA 2015
- Best Environmental Film - Cayman International Film Festival 2015
For "Banking Nature"
- Winner of the Expo Milano Prize 2015
- Best Full Length Documentary - 8th Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Fest 2015
- Award of the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences - Life Sciences Film Festival Prague
- Grand Prize of the City of Innsbruck 2015
- Best International Feature Award - Planet in Focus - Toronto 2015
- Golden Sun - FICMA 2015
- Special Prize - "Emys Foundation" 2015
- Greenpeace Prize - Festival du Film vert de Genève 2016
- Best Film - Another Way Film Festival 2016
- Grands Prix - Ecrans Publics 2016
- Winner - Deauville Green Awards 2016
- Finalist - DIG Awards 2016
- Member of the International Federation of Journalists
- Founding member of The Barcelona International Documentary Club
- Membre Sociétaire Stagiaire du collège audiovisuel de la Société Civile des Auteurs Multumédia