Denis Marconato warming up in the second game of the 2008 ACB Finals.
July 29, 1975 |
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||260 lb (118 kg)|
|2008–2009||San Sebastián Gipuzkoa|
|2012–2013||Reyer Venezia Mestre|
|Career highlights and awards|
Denis Marconato (born July 29, 1975) is an Italian former professional basketball player. He is 211 cm (6 ft 11 in) tall and played at the center position.
Marconato joined Benetton Treviso's youth team in 1990 and with them he won three juniors titles between 1991 and 1994. He made his debut in the Serie A with the senior team of Benetton Treviso in the 1993-94 season, but he did not have a place in Treviso's roster, so he was loaned to Padova, where he demonstrated his talent. In the 1996-97 season, he returned to Treviso and Benetton coach Mike D'Antoni gave him a more important role in the team; and that season Marconato won his first Italian Championship. After winning the Italian SuperCup title and MVP in 1997 and the Saporta Cup in 1999, he was named the MVP of the Italian Cup Final Eight in 2000 (won by Benetton).
In the following years, he won two more Italian championships (2002, 2003), three more Italian Cups (2003, 2004, 2005) and played at two Euroleague Final Fours (2002, 2003). During his last season with Treviso, Marconato was also the captain of the team. In the summer of 2005, he moved to the Spanish ACB League club FC Barcelona, together with his Italian national team teammate Gianluca Basile. On January 14, 2015 he signed with Montichiari of the Serie B Basket.
Italian national team
Marconato played in 1994 with the Under-20 junior Italian national team, and he also participated at the Under-22 European Championship held in Istanbul in 1996. From then onward, he was a stable member of the senior Italian national team, which won the European Championship in 1999, a bronze medal at the European Championship in 2003, and the silver medal at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. In addition, Marconato was also a member of the Italian roster at the World Championship in 2006.
Honors and awards
- 3x Italian Junior Champion: (1991, 1992, 1994)
- 4x Italian SuperCup Champion: (1997, 2001, 2002, 2009)
- 4x Euroleague Final Four: (1998, 2002, 2003, 2006)
- Italian SuperCup MVP: (1997)
- 3x Italian League Champion: (1997, 2002, 2003)
- Saporta Cup Champion: (1999)
- 5x Italian Cup Champion: (2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010)
- Italian Cup MVP: (2000)
- Spanish Cup Champion: (2007)
- Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Rome, 27 September 2004. The initiative of the President of the Republic.
Italian national team
- FIBA EuroBasket 1997: Silver
- FIBA EuroBasket 1999: Gold
- FIBA EuroBasket 2003: Bronze
- 2004 Summer Olympic Games: Silver