July 23, 1983
|Relatives||Tina Periša (sister)|
Denis Periša (born July 23, 1983) is a political activist, whistle blower and computer hacker from Šibenik, Croatia. He was convicted and criminally charged in September 1999. He was forbidden to use computer systems or internet for hacking e-mail of politician Veselin Pejnović and planting backdoor to his network. He founded the computer security website Jezgra.org in 1997 that is still active today. Founder of ŠI-WIFI wireless organization for his town in late 2005. Denis also claims himself to be a DJ, photographer and recently a writer of the book called "My first suicide", which has yet to be released.
- 1 Background
- 2 Activism
- 3 Public speaking
- 4 References
Periša was raised in Šibenik, Croatia, with his sister Tina. Periša became interested in computers at an early age, programming in Basic by age thirteen, doing small games on Commodore 128, and forming hacking groups at age fifteen in local computer club.
In early childhood he had a medical condition with his right lung. After surgery he was unable to vaccinate against a common illness and shortly after he got Tetanus after a cat scratched him. He was saved by a former military officer of Yugoslav army (JNA) who ordered a military helicopter for him to be sent from Šibenik to Zagreb for emergency and life saving medical care. After many years he fully recovered but the physical scars of surgery and Tracheotomy on his neck is left as a reminder of near death experience. He acquired very asocial behavior due to lack of socialization.
He often skipped school and didn't like to attend it. After he was arrested his mom was delighted that he shows interest in computer science and called the local firm "Ciam" which said "we cannot teach your son anything more, he could train our technicians". He went to numerous schools. He found photography to be most interesting skill he could learn but he dropped out after 2 years, never graduating high school.
Denis has a lifelong interest in hip-hop music, performing as a DJ in a band in 2006. Later he was a DJ in gigs at nearby towns and he is the co-founder of "Zadar Muzika" with many hosted events. Denis also started making his own rap songs and doing hip-hop production with performers from former Yugoslavia countries.
Law and order
Beginning in 2017, Denis worked on numerous cases for local police and DORH (State Attorney) by coming across and prosecuting online bullies and people spreading hate with possible use of physical violence towards others. Starting with man that that endorsed another for killing his parents and encouraging others to do same with cops. He spoke about how to report such crimes on National Television. Shortly after he was threatened and was put under police protection. Later on he was searching for fugitive Ivica Todorić and his online servers.
He claims he was guilty for various online scandals like hacking folk music websites. He also claims his computer skills were recognized after building firmware that could improve wireless strength of device (SE515 by Siemens) that was popular and very spread out in Croatia and that part of Europe.
In August 2010, Denis in his own words claims he publicly whistle blew Social Democratic Party (SDP) for overspending the local city budget on town wireless network saying that they are throwing away money and giving it to their party member and it will all be for nothing. He privately mailed the city mayor on which the mayor replied rough with no interest. That gave Denis steam to publicly confront city Mayor Ante Županović  and said they are stealing money.
He claims he turned out to be right in 2013 after local news paper tested out existing wireless network and concluded it was not working. After local political scene changed to Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) it became apparent that Denis will be next man in charge of rebuilding and maintaining local city wireless as most competent. So he did just that in late 2014.
After decade of claiming to lead hacking groups Denis claims he finally joined Anonymous group firstly fighting against ACTA and similar acts. He endorses and motivate people to start using Linux OS if nothing then for lower power consumption and better power saving. On June 4, 2015 Denis appeared on a skype interview for "Alter EGO" show talking about internet and anonymous representing himself as one of internet freedom fighters.
Denis is declared atheist and is strongly opposed to Catholic church. Lately Denis introduced himself to public as one of atheist activist in his home town. -"Atheist wing of Croatia in starts its branch in town Šibenik".
STFF (SpliT Film Festival)
In 2014 Denis started public speaking on some conferences. He was first invited to lecture in Split, Croatia on STFF (Split Film Festival) as a guest speaker with subject "HACKING AND THE (PRIVACY) PROTECTION" lasting two hours. After which he gave interview with same subject to H-Alter magazine with subject "Table to table via smartphones" where he commented all his previous work along with recent WikiLeaks arrests.
KDFV (Creative Days of Faust Vrančić)
Photo lecture (Domald)
- Večernji list, September 17, 1999 "Sixteen years old hacker broke in personal computer and network of Veselin Pejnović (local)"
- Jutarnji list, September 18, 1999 "Hackers are thieves (local)"
- Slobodna Dalmacija, September 18, 1999 "Break in program? of Veselin Pejnović was accidental (local)"
- Slobodna Dalmacija, September 19, 1999 "Šibenik hacker gets criminally charged (local)"
- List of members of Croatian Parliament, 1992–95
- Slobodna Dalmacija, May 23, 2014 "Šibenik city core covered by WIFI (local)"
- Metro Express, March 15, 2007 (local) "They use WIFI to wirelessly network whole town of Šibenik"
- Šibenski List, September 4, 2009 (local) "...hacker and DJ in free time"
- Šibenski List, January 7, 2015 (local) "On my photos there are no unnecessary details"
- "My first suicide book by Denis" (local) "My first suicide book by Denis"
- Medical discharge letter (lung surgery) Medical discharge letter, November 1, 1984 (local)
- Medical discharge letter (Tetanus 1) Medical discharge letter (Tetanus 1), March 13, 1987 (local)
- Medical discharge letter (Tetanus 2) Medical discharge letter (Tetanus 2), April 9, 1987 (local)
- Mom and dad: "We don't know how to help our son" Jutarnji List, September 18, 1999 (local)
- "Over 20 songs ready for publish" Novi Tjednik, June 5, 2006 (local)
- "Headline of Vox weekly" Vox Weekly, November 09, 2009 (local)
- "Hip-hop minifest Vol.2: Dancing battle on floor" eZadar, December 13, 2008 (local)
- "Hip-hop minifest Vol.2: Dancing battle interrupted by police" eZadar, December 13, 2008 (local)
- "Rap songs" soundclick.com, July 23, 2003
- HRT (Croatian National Television), about how to report hate speech HRT (National Television), April 10, 2017
- Denis in Labirint, HRT (National Television) about working with State Attorney (available on demand)Labirint, HRT (National television) April 10, 2017
- "DarkMan files report on guy endorsing killing" Slobodna Dalmacija, March 30, 2017(local)
- Working with DORH (local) 100posto.hr, March 29, 2017
- "Day after reporting Denis ended under police protection" prvi.hr March 30, 2017
- Only day after Denis needed and received police protection. republika.eu, March 30, 2017
- In few minutes I found out location of Todorić server 100posto.hr, October 26, 2017
- "In campaign I've read mails of politicians" Glas Dalmacije, December 11, 2007 (local)
- "I could hack a bank, but I don't want to be dirty fugitive" Glas Dalmacije, December 11, 2007 (local)
- "Šibenik hacker blamed for virtual scandals" Metro Express, July 21, 2006 (local)
- "GROTLO.net praising Denis in article" GROTLO.net saved webpage, February 08, 2006 (local)
- "Secret services have no clue about hacking" Vrime, April 9, 2010 (local)
- "City gave money to their local Social Democratic Party member for nothing" Šibenski List, August 14, 2010 (local)
- Correspondence with city Mayor which Denis sent prior to building wireless network PDF (local)
- Correspondence – city Mayor replies to Denis Scanned Letter (local)
- "Ante Županović – new city Mayor" T-portal, June 15, 2009 (local)
- "With 50.000kn I could network three towns not just one" Slobodna Dalmacija, August 11, 2010 (local)
- "City wireless is non-working" Novi Tjednik, September 25, 2013 (local)
- "Denis covers city core with WIFI signal" Slobodna Dalmacija, May 22, 2014 (local)
- "Anonymous are modern Robin Hoods" sibenik.in, February 22, 2012 (local)
- "Savings: Denis advices switch to Linux" mok.hr, November 04, 2010 (local)
- "Alter EGO 04.06.2015" Alter_EGO, Jun 04, 2015 (local)
- "Atheist wing of Croatia in starts its branch in Sibenik" sibenik.in, August 12, 2015 (local)
- "If we start to censor Internet, we can say goodbye to democracy" Novi Tjednik, February 23, 2012 (local)
- Intro to lecture on English and Croatian language YouTube recording, September 19, 2014 (English and local)
- "HACKING AND THE (PRIVACY) PROTECTION – lecture" splitfilmfestival.hr, September 04, 2014 (ENGLISH)
- "Denis Periša is giving lecture on hacking on Split Film Festival" sibenik.in, September 04, 2014 (local)
- Organizer mentioning Denis Periša as a guest speaker of STFF in local newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija, September 13, 2014 (local)
- "Table to table via smartphones" H-Alter, September 19, 2014 (local)
- "In search for lost communication" tris.com.hr, October 10, 2014 (local)
- "Come to photo lecture and workshop" sibenik.in, April 13, 2015 (local)