Shaforostov performing as a part of Asking Alexandria at Rock Am Ring festival 2015.
|Native name||Денис Шафоростов|
|Birth name||Denis Alexandrovich Shaforostov|
|Also known as||Denis Stoff|
4 May 1992|
Khartsyzk, Donetsk, Ukraine
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Asking Alexandria, Down & Dirty, Make Me Famous|
Denis Alexandrovich Shaforostov (Ukrainian: Денис Олександрович Шафоростов; born 4 May 1992), also known by his stage name Denis Stoff, is a Ukrainian musician, and was the former lead guitarist of Ukrainian metalcore band, Make Me Famous, and former lead vocalist of British metalcore band Asking Alexandria. Shaforostov showcased an early interest in music through his YouTube channel "above92" which contains vocal and guitar cover videos of songs dating back to as far as 2008. He furthered the momentum of his YouTube popularity through the formation of Make Me Famous. After Make Me Famous broke up, he founded Down & Dirty but left the group shortly after, later joining British metalcore band Asking Alexandria, which he left on 21 October 2016 because of conflict going on in his home country, Ukraine. Denis has stated that it is a "legit war zone".
2010–2012: Make Me Famous
The first major project Stoff involved himself in was metalcore act Make Me Famous which he helped form in 2010 with members Serj Kravchenko on lead vocals, Sergei Hohlov on bass, Dusty Boles on drums and Igor Yestrebov on guitar. The band gained recognition on the video sharing website YouTube, where Stoff previously released covers of songs and would eventually gain members after contacting each musician after gaining a following. The band released their debut album in March 2012 via Sumerian Records and successfully charted in the US top 200, peaking at 151.
In late 2012, Stoff had announced that he had quit the band, which itself had announced to be disbanded after their final headlining tour that same year, officially disbanding in early 2013.
2012–2015: Down & Dirty
After the news arose that Make Me Famous had broken up, Stoff quickly announced a new band named Down & Dirty. The band was officially announced under the Sumerian label like his last project, and released their first single and music video in December 2013 titled "Move It". The band also released a second single and music video in December 2014 titled "I Will Never Lose My Way". After these songs, Stoff later announced he would be joining Asking Alexandria, which was followed by Down & Dirty confirming he was no longer a part of the group. Down & Dirty continued with a new lead vocalist, Ezekiel Pierson, and released a new single "Heaven Sent" in February 2017. In February 2018 the band "Heaven Sent" was re-released now as an EP. However, shortly after that, frontman Ezekiel Pierson left the band and later on Christian Grey of Villain of the Story joined as the new vocalist.
2015–2016: Asking Alexandria
On 22 January 2015, lead singer Danny Worsnop announced his departure from Asking Alexandria to focus on his new band We Are Harlot, of which it was quickly stated that his replacement was already found. On 26 May 2015, Stoff was officially announced as the new lead vocalist when they released their first single together titled "I Won't Give In" on 27 May. Speculation regarding Stoff's involvement started shortly after Worsnop's departure due to similarities between Asking Alexandria and Make Me Famous (who were said to have been ripping off the band); the fact that they were label mates would have made the transition easy for Stoff to make, and on his personal YouTube account he had covered multiple Asking Alexandria songs. Ben Bruce was asked if he considered anyone else for the role and he stated that "it has to be Denis" before praising his vocal ability. When Shaforostov himself was asked how he would distinguish himself from Worsnop, he stated he would not make any comparison since he is a completely different person.
In October 2016, Ben Bruce announced that Stoff left the band. In December 2017, Rock Sound interviewed Denis. Denis explained that his home country, Ukraine, is like a warzone now. He said there was stress for him and his family, and he had to stop touring to focus on family.
2017-2018: Post-Asking Alexandria activities
Stoff posted on Twitter on September 27, 2017 “New album and new band... so worth every minute of the work and da wait we've already invested in this. Be ready for something new and FRESH”
|Denis Stoff discography|
|Keep This in Your Music Player||2011||Make Me Famous||EP|
|It's Now or Never||2012||Studio Album|
|The Black||2016||Asking Alexandria|
|"Blind Date 101"||2012||Make Me Famous|
|"Move It"||2014||Down & Dirty|
|"I Will Never Lose My Way"||2015|
|"I Won't Give In"||Asking Alexandria|
|"Let It Sleep"|
|"Here I Am"|
|"Limitless"||2011||Limitless||Crown the Empire|
|"#OIMATEWTF"||2012||'Til Death||Capture the Crown|
|"Just Another Night[mare]"||Non-album single||Skarlett|
|"Sink Your Teeth Into This"||2015||Conquer Divide||Conquer Divide|
|"Lucid Dreams"||Divide to Unite||Forever In Combat|
|"Hale's Own"||Non-album single||Polarity|
- Denis Shaforostov
- Lymangrover, Jason. Make Me Famous (Biography) at AllMusic. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Epting, Chris. "Make Me Famous: Ukrainian Screamo Wizards Invade America (Interview)". NoiseCreep.com. Noise Creep. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Make Me Famous It's Now or Never". AllMusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Make Me Famous top 200". Billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Common, Tyler. "Make Me Famous vocalist quits, band announces plans to break up". AltPress.com. Alternative Press. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Down & Dirty Sign With Sumerian Records, Release "nove It" Music Video". Theprp.com. The PRP. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Down & Dirty – new single "I Will Never Lose My Way" now available". Sumerianrecords.com. Sumerian Records. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Carter, Emily. "Asking Alexandria reveal frontman, stream new song I Won't Give In". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Asking Alexandria frontman, Danny Worsnop, quits band". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Carter, Emily (27 May 2015). "Asking Alexandria Reveal Frontman, Stream New Song I Won't Give In". Kerrang!. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- Crane, Matt. "Is this Asking Alexandria's new singer". Altpress.com. Alternative Press. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- Lipovsky, Andrew (30 May 2015). "Moment of Truth". Kerrang.com (1570). Kerrang!. Kerrang!. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Asking Alexandria Releases New Song 'Undivided' – Blabbermouth.net
- "Stream Asking Alexandria's heavy new single, "The Black" - News – Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- Crown The Empire – Limitless ft. Denis from MAKE ME FAMOUS – YouTube
- SKARLETT - Just Another Night[mare (feat. Denis Stoff of Asking Alexandria) OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO – YouTube]
- "CONQUER DIVIDE Releases 'Sink Your Teeth Into This' Song Feat. ASKING ALEXANDRIA's DENIS SHAFOROSTOV". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Lucid Dreams (feat. Denis Stoff) – Single".
- ""Hale's Own (feat. Denis Stoff of Asking Alexandria)"".