Denise Roche in 2007
|Member of the New Zealand Parliament|
for Green party list
26 November 2011 – 23 September 2017
|Born||9 July 1963|
Denise Maree Roche (born 9 July 1963) is a New Zealand politician. She was a member of the Waiheke Local Board and the New Zealand House of Representatives, where she represented the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand from 2011 to 2017.
Roche was born in 1963 in Helensville. She has an extensive background in union-related work and in 2000 completed a diploma in labour studies. In 2007 she completed a graduate diploma in not-for-profit management.
Roche and her partner John Stansfield moved to Waiheke in 1997, partners in Orapiu Grove Farm. From 2004 to 2010, she was on the board of trustees for Te Huruhi School.
|New Zealand Parliament|
She was the Auckland City Councillor for the Hauraki Gulf Islands from 2007 to 2010. She won in the 2007 Auckland local body election by a very narrow margin over long-standing incumbent, Faye Storer, by only eleven votes with a high-profile campaign.
She was the candidate of the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand for Auckland Central in the 2008 general election. The Auckland Central electorate includes the whole of Waiheke Island. She received 13% of votes cast in the electorate and was not elected.
Placed in eleventh place on the Green Party list for the 2011 election, Roche was elected to Parliament, with the Greens gaining 14 positions based on the final results. Roche was number 13 on the Green party list for the 2017 general election, and was not re-elected as an MP.
Following the general election Roche ran as the City Vision candidate for the Waitematā Local Board vacancy created by the resignation of Mark Davey. She was successful, winning the seat by 249 votes.
- "Denise Roche". Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- Roche, Denise (3 November 2005). "The Waste Resource Trust on Waiheke – Exploring the effects of public attitudes on waste minimisatiion" (PDF). Retrieved 15 December 2005.
- "Denise Roche". Elections New Zealand. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Final official election results 2007". Auckland City Council. 2007. Archived from the original on 18 April 2010.
- "Official Count Results -- Auckland Central". Chief Electoral Office. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "2011 election candidates". Green Party. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Trevett, Claire (27 November 2011). "National soars as Labour put to the sword". The NZ Herald. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Interview with New Green MP Denise Roche". Waiheke Radio. 27 November 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Official Count Results -- Successful Candidates". New Zealand Electoral Commission. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- Davis, Rose (26 September 2017). "Green MP Denise Roche looking for a new way to change the world". Auckland Now. Fairfax New Zealand. Archived from the original on 4 February 2018.
- Pasley, James (21 November 2017). "Contenders emerge to replace Auckland councillor and Waitamatā Local Board member". Central Leader. Fairfax New Zealand. Archived from the original on 4 February 2018.
- "New Auckland Council representatives elected". The New Zealand Herald. February 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2018.