Denistone East, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Midway Shopping Centre
|Population||2,098 (2011 census)|
|Established||5 February 1999|
|Location||16 km (10 mi) north west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Ryde|
Denistone East is a suburb in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney, Australia. Denistone East is 16 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the City of Ryde. Denistone and Denistone West are separate suburbs; Denistone East was gazetted as a suburb in its own right on 5 February 1999.
Denistone East's retail area is Midway Shopping Centre, built in 1960 with 5 shops. Today it has expanded to a variety of 20 retail premises, an important community hub with a friendly village atmosphere serving the local community.
Denistone East Public School was established in 1950, and is a large local primary school with over 800 students from Kindergarten to Grade 6. It was rebuilt in 2005 with completely new administrative, assembly and classroom blocks.
Denistone East is centred at the intersection of Cecil Street, Lovell Road, Quarry Road and North Road, where Midway Shopping Centre is situated. These roads converge into an elongated figure of 8 roundabout.
At present the following routes service Denistone East. All are provided by Sydney Buses:
- Route 286: Denistone East (Colvin Crescent) to Milsons Point via North Ryde, Lane Cove and North Sydney (morning and evening peak hour service) [This service formerly ran to QVB, however the route was changed in October 2015 due to George St road closure for the construction of the light rail]
- Route 297: Prepaid Service from Denistone East (Colvin Crescent) to Wynyard via North Ryde and Lane Cove Tunnel (morning and evening peak hour service) [This service formerly ran to QVB, however the route was changed in October 2015 due to George St road closure for the construction of the light rail]
- Route 515: Eastwood (via Denistone East/Blaxland Road) to Circular Quay via Top Ryde and Victoria Road (daily daytime and early evening service)
- Route 515: Circular Quay to Eastwood (travelling through Denistone East) via Ryde Hospital (daily daytime and early evening service)
- Route X15: Express Service from City to Eastwood, travelling through Denistone East (Blaxland Road) (evening peak hour evening service)
- Route 518: Denistone East (Midway) to Circular Quay via Top Ryde and Victoria Road (daily full-time service)
- Route 518: Denistone East (Midway) to Macquarie University and Macquarie Centre (daily full-time service)
- Route X18: Prepaid Service from City to Denistone East (Midway) (evening peak hour service)
- Route 544: Denistone East to Macquarie Centre via Marsfield and Macquarie University(Mon-Sat Service)
- Route 544: Denistone East to Auburn via Eastwood and Ermington (Mon-Sat Service)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Denistone East (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Denistone East (suburb)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "2010 Statement to NSW Parliament 50th anniversary of Midway Shopping Centre". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Our School". Denistone East Public School. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Midway Shopping Centre
- Angela Phippen (2008). "Denistone East". Dictionary of Sydney. Retrieved 27 September 2015. [CC-By-SA]