Denkigai no Honya-san
|Denkigai no Honya-san|
Cover of the first volume
|Written by||Asato Mizu|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Original run||July 2011 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Masafumi Sato|
|Music by||Hiroshi Takaki|
|Original run||October 2, 2014 – December 18, 2014|
Denkigai no Honya-san (デンキ街の本屋さん? Denkigai no Hon'ya-san, lit. "The Electric Town's Bookstore") is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Asato Mizu. It depicts slice of life stories about a group of characters who work in a fictional dōjin shop called Umanohone (うまのほね?, "the horse's bone"), a reference to the real-life dōjin shop Toranoana (とらのあな?, "the tiger's lair"). It began serialization in the July 2011 issue of Media Factory's Comic Flapper magazine. A drama CD was released in August 2013. An anime television series adaptation produced by Shin-Ei Animation aired from October to December 2014.
- Hiotan (ひおたん?)
- Voiced by: Natsumi Takamori
- Hiotan is a part-time clerk at Umanohone. Her nickname comes from the fact that she is not an otaku, but is interested in yaoi. Unlike the others, she does not know much about anime. Hiotan acts innocent towards things that are perverted, but admits that she is "someone who really likes porn books." She is easily embarrassed and often teased by Kantoku, whom she has a crush on.
- Sensei (先生? lit. Teacher)
- Voiced by: Minami Tsuda
- Another clerk at Umanohone, Sensei is an aspiring manga artist under the pen name "Jonatarou" (ジョナ太郎?). Her nickname comes from the fact that she aims to become a great manga artist. Along with Sommelier, she is an avid reader of manga. Compared to Hiotan who is feminine, Sensei always dresses haphazardly, as she is not confident with her appearance and "Girl Power". When exhausted and over-worked, she becomes childish and has Hiotan calm her. She has a crush on Umio.
- Fu Girl (腐ガール? Fu Gāru, lit. Rotten Girl)
- Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu (anime), Mako (drama CD)
- One of the female clerks at Umanohone, Fu Girl is a 16 year-old high school girl who has the appearance and voice of a shy girl; this changes, however, when she sees something zombie themed or feels as though she is in charge. She's obsessive with zombies and even has prepared if one day there's a zombie outbreak. She sees Umio as person who sacrifices himself in a zombie outbreak and becomes one thus, she becomes violent to him. She has a crush on Sommelier. Her nickname comes from her obsessiveness towards zombies while her real name is Koharu Yatsu (谷津 コハル? Yatsu Koharu).
- Kameko (カメ子? lit. Camera Girl)
- Voiced by: Mai Aizawa
- One of the female clerks at Umanohone, Kameko is a girl obsessed with cameras. She often captures pictures of Umanohone and its staff, but she has no confidence having her picture taken, as she stated that she is "not one for the spotlight". Her nickname can also mean turtle, explained the keychain on her camera. Kameko also seems to dislike when people try to take her hat off, as seen by Kantoku, whom she has a crush on.
- Umio (海雄?)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- Newest employee of Umanohone. The straight man of the group that hasn't been given a nickname (and when they made one, it does not stick with them), though he becomes a different person when it comes to manga and anime, particularly 2D girls. He is a fan of "Jonatarou" and usually helps her with her manga. He is also a fan of Tsumorin. He and Sensei might be taking liking at each other. He has a younger sister who is a fujoshi.
- Kantoku (カントク? lit. Director)
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- Another clerk of Umanohone. He often records his employees on his video camera, especially Hiotan, and he got his nickname because he wanted to become a film director. He likes teasing the other employees, particularly Hiotan and Umio. He has a boob and underwear fetish. He used to be in a relationship with Tsumorin and according to her, Kantoku will tease and be mean but sometimes nice to the girl he likes. It seems that he and Hiotan have taken a liking to each other.
- Sommelier (ソムリエ? Somurie)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Tomita (anime), Tomokazu Sugita (drama CD)
- A tall man with a big figure, Sommelier is another clerk at Umanohone. He has a profound knowledge of manga, and can match people to the suitable manga for them to read. A "Sommelier Meeting" is regularly held where he recommends manga to a lot of people. He is popular with the ladies. He was classmates with Erohon G-Man in elementary school. He later confessed his love to Fu Girl and they started dating.
- Manager (店長? Tenchō)
- Manager of Umanohone. In the anime, he only appears at every next episode preview and is seen talking only at the first and last episode.
- Tsumorin (つもりん?)
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō
- A former clerk at Umanohone, now a light novel writer under the pen name Haruka Tsumori (つもり はるか? Tsumori Haruka). She loves to drink but is easily drunk. She and Kantoku used to be in a relationship and she held on to her unrequited feelings for him, but she also knows that Kantoku is in love with Hiotan.
- Ero Hon G Men (エロ本Gメン? lit. Porn Book Agent)
- Voiced by: Yū Kobayashi
- A woman from the government who often comes to inspect porn books, but loves yaoi. She has a crush on Sommelier.
- Taishi Yatsu (谷津 タイシ? Yatsu Taishi)
- Fu Girl's younger brother who is still a middle high school sophomore. He calls his sister Haru.
- Sora (そら? Sora)
- Umio's younger sister who is in junior high. She is a big fujoshi who always connects things to yaoi situations.
Denkigai no Hon'ya-san is written and illustrated by Asato Mizu. It began serialization in the July 2011 issue of Media Factory's Comic Flapper magazine. The first tankōbon volume was published on November 22, 2011; twelve volumes have been released as of January 23, 2016. The manga is also published by Ever Glory Publishing in Taiwan. The manga will end in November 2017.
A drama CD titled Denkigai no Hon'ya-san Drama CD: Umanohone no Hitobito (デンキ街の本屋さんドラマCD～うまのほねの人々～?), produced by Hobirecords, was released on August 5, 2013 and was limited to being sold in Comic Toranoana stores. The script was written by Asato Mizu and Chabō Higurashi.
An anime television series, produced by Shin-Ei Animation and directed by Masafumi Sato, began airing on October 2, 2014. The anime has been licensed by Pony Canyon's North American label Ponycan USA, and the series streamed on Crunchyroll the same day it premiered in Japan. The opening theme is "Kajirikake no Ringo" (齧りかけの林檎?, "A Half-Bitten Apple") by Ayana Taketatsu, and the ending theme is "Two-Dimension's Love" by Denk!Girls (Natsumi Takamori, Minami Tsuda, Ayana Taketatsu, and Mai Aizawa).
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Love & Eros For All"
"Rabu ando Erosu fō Ōru" (ラブ＆エロス フォー オール)
|October 2, 2014|
|"Nightmare Before Karnaval"
"Naitomea bifoa Karunabaru" (ナイトメア ビフォア カルナバル)
Umanohone is introduced as well as the main characters of the series. There is a shrink wrap incident and the store is visited by the first time by the Ero Hon G Men. We get our first look at a Sommelier Party. The Ero Hon G Men makes another appearance at the party but not for work. It turns out that she likes BL as Sommelier picked out a BL manga for her. She then gives a speech on how she loves erotic books and how everyone loves erotic books. Umio fanboys about his favorite doujinshi artist Jonataro. it is then revealed that Jonataro is in fact Sensei, which shocks Umio because he thought Jonataro was a guy. Sensei is pressed to meet a deadline and Umio and Hiotan help her out. Sensei turns out to be a big cry baby about doing so much work and is only calmed by Hiotan's lap. Umio stays to help Sensei more. Sensei cries again while Umio consoles her treating her like a girl. This makes Sensei blush. The manga is finished and the next day the entire staff goes to a comic festival.
|2||"Deep Deep Night"||October 9, 2014|
|"Is Electric Town Burning?"
"Denkigai wa Moete Iru ka" (デンキ街は燃えているか)
Umanohone has a late night sale that is busy and chaotic. It leaves everyone tired and exhausted. To celebrate the group goes to a family restaurant. Gradually everyone returns back to Umanohone and sleep in the nap room. The next morning, Fu-girl put zombie make up on Umio and beats him with a bat for target practice. Everyone wakes up and ignores the two. Umanohone is having a summer festival. All the staff are involved in the festivities. The winning book shop receives 10,000 yen prizes and a year supply of oden. The games were set up as a otaku-sports fest. There is a catching underwear with your mouth jump. Rolling a golden ball and a waifu-carrying race. next was a tug-o-wa. The final match was a water shooter game. Sensei manages to win the festival by going solo.
|3||"Party Hard"||October 16, 2014|
|"Hiotan, Go Home"
"Hiotan yo Ie ni Kaere" (ひおたんよ家に帰れ)
"Endoresu Karunabaru" (エンドレス・カルナバル)
Umanohone is selling an eroge game, Die Heart 2. Hiotan and Fu-girl are made to cosplay outside the shop to advertise the game. Later, Hiotan and Kantoku go shopping and decorate Kantoku's house for a Christmas party. The following day, the staff arrives for a Christmas party. Everyone is in cosplay except for Sensei who is later forced to. Everyone takes a photo together. Kantoku laments as everyone is single for the holidays but Umio says he has a girlfriend. The entire group is shocked until Umio corrects them by saying he has an anime girlfriend. The Christmas party is over, everyone has left, and Kantoku is cleaning up. However, Hiotan remains and spend the rest of the day with Kantoku. Umahone is having a New Year sale. The shop becomes busy and crowded. Some many things are going crazy and nearly wrong. At the end of the sale, everyone is beat. Umio and Sensei go to a shrine together.
|4||"King of Pop"
"Kingu obu Poppu" (キングオブPOP)
|October 23, 2014|
Everyone at the shop now has a shelf where they present manga that they like in order to increase sales. Hiotan thinks about the manga she likes and what to put on her shelf. Hiotan and the other girls go to Mikan Books to get Hiotan to read more manga and see what she likes. It is Valentine's Day at Umanohone. This brings pressure, confusion, and nervousness to the girls at the shop.
|5||"Panty Shot in Spring"
"Haru ni Panchira" (春にパンチラ)
|October 30, 2014|
|"I am Rain"|
Sensei needs help drawing a pantry shot in her manga and Umio helps her. Hilarities arise between the two as well as blushing faces. It is a rainy day at Umanohone. Tsumorin makes a debut at Umanohone.
"Yado wa Nashi" (宿はなし)
|November 6, 2014|
Sensei has been sleeping at Umanohone (and not changing her clothes) to finish a manga by a deadline. The staff at Umanohone is willing to help her out. Sensei's girl power is in a crisis. Tsumorin is here to save the day.
|7||"To the Bath House"
"Iza Sentō e……" (いざ銭湯へ……)
|November 13, 2014|
|"Overflow of Feelings"
"Mune ga Ippai" (胸がいっぱい)
Umanohone goes to an onsen. There is an anime festival and booths at Comiket. Kantoku says that he has someone he likes. Summer fair clean up day at Umanohone. Hiotan is acting weird.
|8||"The Sleeping One"
"Nemuru Hito" (眠る人)
|November 20, 2014|
"Rafu Sarigenaku" (ラフさりげなく)
Sensei is losing sleep. Sensei and Umio spend some time talking in the nap room. Sensei has to make a choice. Sensei accidentally asked Umio on a date. She can't figure out what to wear or how to act. Her girl power is in danger and she seeks out help from the other female employees.
|9||"It's Not Love"
|November 27, 2014|
|"Hey, How Are You Feeling?"
"Yā, Chōshi wa Dō dai" (やあ、調子はどうだい)
"Yuki no Furu Yoru" (雪の降る夜)
Hiotan caught a cold and took the day off from work. Kantoku comes to her apartment and to take care of her. He ends up spending the day with her. Hiotan becomes sick again and this time Sensei goes to take care of her. However, Sensei has ulterior motives for going to Hiotan's place. It is Christmas Eve so Umanohone is busy once again with a Christmas sale. Couples are the topic of discussion.
"Wandafuru Chokorēto" (ワンダフル・チョコレート)
|December 4, 2014|
"Ameiro no Heya" (飴色の部屋)
|"Caught you on a Sleepless Night"
"Nemurenuyoru ni Tsukamaeta" (眠れぬ夜につかまえた)
It is Valentine's Day again. Sensei battles with the process of making homemade chocolates. Tsumorin comes to the rescue once again. The girls at Umanohone go to cooking class. The next part is just as difficult; giving the chocolate. Sensei cannot say the words. White Day has come to Umanohone. Hiotan and Kantoku went out to prepare to stock some shelves but were locked out. They are stuck together for the night.
"Chīsana Koro Kara" (小さな頃から)
|December 11, 2014|
"Abakareta Seikatsu" (暴かれた生活)
"Kuchibiru no Sore" (唇のソレ)
Ero Hon G Men and Sommelier were once classmates in elementary school. Childhood memories and eroge books are shared. Sensei's girl power is tracked and check by Hiotan and Tsumorin. Fu-girl wants to get bigger to get Sommelier to notice her more.
|12||"The Hermit's Library"
"Inja no Shoko" (隠者の書庫)
|December 18, 2014|
|"When The Cherry Blossoms Bloom"
"Sakura ga Saitara" (桜が咲いたら)
Umio rides the train home with a drunk Sensei. Sensei is in a really bad condition, so they go to Umio's apartment. However, its filled with a bunch of eroge and otaku stuff. The two stay up partially through the blush filled night. The staff at the Umanohone and some other characters go to on cherry blossom viewing picnic.The manager leads Umanohone's morning assembly.
- "Yoshinori Natsume Ends Togari Shiro Sequel Manga". Anime News Network. May 3, 2011. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- デンキ街の本屋さん 1 [Denkigai no Hon'ya-san 1] (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- デンキ街の本屋さん 12 [Denkigai no Hon'ya-san 12] (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- 電器街的漫畫店 (1) (in Chinese). Ever Glory Publishing. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- "Denki-Gai no Honya-san Manga Ends in November". Anime News Network. June 5, 2017. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "「デンキ街の本屋さんドラマCD」が発売決定!" [Denkigai no Hon'ya-san Drama CD to be Sold!] (in Japanese). Comic Toranoana. Archived from the original on September 20, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "Natsumi Takamori Leads Denki-Gai no Honya-san Anime Cast". Anime News Network. July 4, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Pony Canyon Company Expands to US Market". Anime News Network. September 25, 2014. Retrieved September 25, 2014.