Denmark Hill railway station
Location of Denmark Hill in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Southwark|
|Number of platforms||4|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|— interchange||0.109 million|
|— interchange||0.127 million|
|Original company||London, Brighton and South Coast Railway|
|1 December 1865||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
Denmark Hill railway station is in the London Borough of Southwark in London, England, on the South London and East London lines. It is managed by Thameslink and is served by trains of that company, Southeastern, and London Overground. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. It is on Champion Park in the south of Camberwell. It is near to King's College and Maudsley hospitals and to the Denmark Hill campus of King's College London, whose buildings are intermingled around and between the two hospitals. It is mostly served by local trains on the London Overground and trains from two London termini: Victoria and Blackfriars. As of August 2013 the station is fully accessible with lifts to all the platforms.
The station was built in 1865. Its design is in the Italianate style, with an extremely decorative frontage and French pavilion roofs. After a fire in 1980 the building was renovated and restored. The project included the addition of a public house, initially called the Phoenix and Firkin to commemorate the fire, then called O'Neills and now the Phoenix. A Civic Trust award was given to the building in 2009.
In the period 2011-2013 the station underwent a redesign with the construction of a new ticket office with access from Champion Park, new walkways and lifts to the platforms.
The platforms are below road level, with the short Grove Tunnel at one end and Denmark Hill road bridge at the other.
The January 2015 Monday to Saturday off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 4 trains per hour (tph) Clapham Junction (London Overground)
- 4 tph Dalston Junction via Surrey Quays (London Overground)
- 3 non-stop to London Victoria (Southeastern)
- 2tph Blackfriars via Elephant & Castle (Thameslink); Mondays-Fridays continue to West Hampstead Thameslink
- 2tph Sevenoaks via the Catford Loop (Thameslink)
- 2tph Dartford via Lewisham and Bexleyheath (Southeastern)
- 1tph Dover Priory via Bromley South (Southeastern)
The station has 4 platforms, platform 1 being for services to Clapham Junction or London Victoria, platform 2 for services to Dartford or Dalston Junction , platform 3 for services to London Victoria or West Hampstead Thameslink and platform 4 for services to Dover Priory, Ashford International, Gillingham or Sevenoaks
- Camberwell a disused station is located nearby
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Southern - Network map (central)
- The Buildings of England London 2: South, Second Edition 1983, page 625
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Denmark Hill railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Denmark Hill railway station from National Rail
- Planning documents for 2011/12 station improvements, Southwark Council,
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Elephant & Castle|
Victoria - Dartford
Chatham Main Line
or Elephant and Castle
towards Dalston Junction
|South London Line||
towards Clapham Junction
|Peckham Rye||British Rail
South London Line